Monday, June 13, 2011

Fruit Pizza

This recipe comes from a parent-children-teacher cookbook from when my kids were in elementary school. It is very delicious and looks beautiful. I only make this in the spring or summer with whatever local fruits are in season. Right now it is strawberries!

Preheat oven to 350º F.

Cream together in the mixer:
1/2 cup soft butter
1/3 cup sugar

Add and mix well:
1 egg
2 Tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

In a separate bowl, mix:
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder

Though you don't have to sift, I did because I like the way it smooths the ingredients, and just because I love using my sifter.



Add dry ingredients to mixer at low speed.
Press into a pizza pan, greased with butter.
Bake 10-12 minutes until golden. Mine cooked a few minutes longer than this.
Cool thoroughly.

Topping
Beat together until smooth:
8 ounces soft cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Spread on cooled crust and top with strawberries.


Each of the three components is wonderful - the shortbread-like crust, the smooth, sweet cream cheese, and the taste of fresh strawberries. Put them all together and you have a divine dessert.

17 comments:

  1. This is a special favorite for my family. We love fruit pizza.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom used to make this when I was a kid. I always loved it! She also would put mandarin orange segments, kiwi slices and other fruits. YUMMY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann, such a delightful dessert.

    Karla, kiwi and strawberries go so well together! I should get some during strawberry season.

    Ernestine, it is such a beautiful time of year. I think you'll like the fruit pizza. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an excellent dessert to have in your repertoire. It looks like it would be suitable for whatever fruit is fresh at the time. I'm already thinking of some of my favorite combinations, peaches and blueberries, for one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm that's a favourite around here too - delicious and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As Karla said, lots of different fruits would make this yummy. I'm thinking that adding some frozen blueberries would make a great red, white and blue dessert for the 4th of July. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhh, my mom also made this and it was always so beautiful and tasty. Every time you make it you can create a new pattern of summer fruit! (Now if only there were fruit trees in Yellowknife!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great and easy enough to make, thank you for posting it! And I know what you mean about sifting the flour because you like the smoothness of the ingredients and simply because you like using your sieve :-)
    When I was little and "helped" my mum making a cake, that was always my task, and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Margot, that's exactly right. Later in the season I'll use blueberries or raspberries, or if I'm lucky, some blackberries. Sometimes the fruit seasons overlap so I can use more than one on the pizza. Such a great dessert!

    Kathie, is your recipe any different?

    Shann Ekan, it is!

    Webster, I've not used frozen berries, but if you do please let me know how it turned out!

    Colleen, not even any cold-resistant ones? I've never thought about that.

    Librarian, that's it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Val, I think your girls will enjoy the making and the eating of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't made this in years and must rectify this soon. I too put kiwi and mandarin oranges, or whatever is in season, but, oh, on the Fourth of July !

    Your peonies are divine today. Ours are now gone, so, it was a joy to see them again, and I really appreciated the Mary Oliver poem.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you liked the poem, Penny. She is just the best at expressing things we sometimes don't even know we feel, don't you think?
    The peonies are at their best this day. There isn't one droop. MO writes about this so well too- the way they aren't around long.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delicious! We will soon have strawberries so I will try it.

    Thanks for you comment over at my place. I will enjoy going through your book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sharon, I am quite sure you will like it!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.