Thursday, July 26, 2012

Dead and Berried by Karen MacInerney


35. Dead and Berried - Book 2 in the Gray Whale Inn Mysteries
by Karen MacInerney
mystery, 2007
eighth book in the Foodies Read 2 Challenge 2012
Kindle book 15
finished 6/25/12

For someone who purports to not care so much for cozy mysteries, I am finding myself quite enamored with this series. I love the heroine, the plots, the locale, and the food! In the second adventure for Natalie Barnes who has moved from Austin, Texas to Cranberry Island, Maine, she is trying to make ends meet running her bed & breakfast. Dead and Berried is set in the fall, when business traditionally falls off. In addition to this problem, Natalie hears noises coming from her bedroom ceiling at night and she wonders if her house may be haunted.

In this installment the reader learns more about the other inhabitants of the island, and not all the revelations are pleasant. A woman who works for Natalie is murdered, as is a new Episcopalian priest. And Natalie's ex-fiancé shows up at the Gray Whale Inn trying to win her back to him, and their life in Texas. Is he sincere? And if so, why is he spending so much time with a gorgeous fellow guest? Two of Natalie's new island friendships are faltering causing her much distress.

There's a lot for Natalie to deal with in this book. It is a cozy, but it is rather a serious one. Of course all murder is serious, but perhaps the time of year and all her troubles make the book a bit darker. I enjoyed it very much, as I did the first one, and plan to continue on with the series. So far there are four books, and a short story. You may read more at Karen MacInerney's website.

I include Dead and Berried as an offering for the Foodies Read 2 Challenge because baking is a big part of Natalie's life, and hence the book. There are numerous mentions of delicious sounding dishes, with recipes following the story, as in the first book, Murder on the Rocks. I'm particularly interested in Berried Medley Lemon Streusel Muffins. I think I'll be trying them when autumn arrives.

14 comments:

  1. They are good books and recipes! I've made two of the recipes. She is working on the 5th one now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I thank you for introducing me to them! Happy, happy to hear about the 5th.

      Delete
  2. Even though we have not had much of a summer yet (apart from a few lovely sunny days here and there), being out on the fields gives me a distinct "nearly autumn" feeling already - and I want to stick to summer for as long as possible! But this book sounds like one I'd enjoy reading in September or October. I'll check the online library catalogue for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had perfect (to me) summer weather. Not too hot, plenty of sun, rain when we need it. Good growing conditions. I would def recommend reading this in the fall. Maybe you'd like to begin with Murder on the Rocks, the first in the series, which does take place in warm weather?

      Delete
  3. Nan, I have this on my cozy wish list. I might have to move it up on the list! I love the hollyhock in your header-just absolutely stunning!!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun series! I am thrilled with my hollyhocks. I must do a blog post on them.

      Delete
  4. I've enjoyed this series very much. I keep waiting for her to include a bit more of Austin in a book. Perhaps she will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one had a few mentions - of the place the ex wanted to buy. Are there series which are set in Austin??

      Delete
  5. I'm sad because my library doesn't have this and I'm trying not to buy so many books! But I may succumb. You make it sounds like a very good read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pretty sure I have the first one. I love cozies and food!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't like cozies either (any more).... but based on your recommendation maybe I'll try this series, esp. if I can find it at the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My usual objection to them is the heroine who makes dumb decisions. So far Natalie is pretty bright, usually.

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.