Saturday, October 1, 2011

French Martini



Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend.

Go here for this week's offerings.



It has been far too long since I've posted a cocktail recipe here in my letters. If you want to see some others, click on the Recipes tab under the blog header photo, and then Cocktails.

In May we went out to dinner at an inn with Tom's parents. I had a cocktail I had never tasted or even heard of. When I read the ingredients though, I was quite sure I'd like it. Vodka. Chambord. Pineapple juice. What's not to like?! Well, it was delicious so when I came home I went searching for a recipe. There were a few different choices which varied only in amounts.

1 1/2 oz. vodka
1/4 oz. Chambord
1/4 oz. pineapple juice

2 oz. vodka
1/4 oz. Chambord
1 oz. pineapple juice

I felt that both of these scrimped on the wonderful Chambord. And I prefer more pineapple juice. So I tried this one:

2 oz. vodka
1 oz. Chambord
4 oz. pineapple juice

and thought it the best. I also add the juice of half a lemon because I love lemon and add it to most everything. You may, of course, add ice if you like. I never use ice in any cocktails.

This is a really wonderful cocktail! It's easy to make, looks spectacular, and will impress your visitors. If you don't drink, you could buy some Chambord just to smell it occasionally.


21 comments:

  1. I have everything in the house to make this one. :)) I'd likely shake it in ice and then strain to drink cool but neat. Yummmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, I am the only person I know who doesn't like cold drinks. You are gonna love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a drinker but that sound good! My hubby never drinks anything cold. He even drinks his water warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore Chambord! This sounds like a perfect afternoon cocktail. I have the pineapple juice and the vodka but no Chambord. Hmmm. I agree with Beth; I would shake it and strain it through some ice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicki, and I don't like my coffee hot either. :<)

    Peaceful reader, if you have some triple sec and cranberry juice, you could make a cosmo. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nan,
    You could make me a drink anytime!
    Cheers!
    Enjoying Autumn yet?
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kay, wish I could! It's been an odd autumn so far. The colors are more muted, the weather muggy or rainy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've made one of my favorite cocktails! A steakhouse near us makes them, love it! I just love Chambord. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm, Chambord. I have no idea what it is (I'll check though, it's the librarian in me) and I don't even like hard liquor (perhaps) but I think I want to try this.

    Perhaps you were in sales in another life?

    ReplyDelete
  10. And cheers back, Carol!

    Clair, if you come back, click on the red Chambord word in the post and it will take you to the site. I don't like things like whisky or gin and tonic, but I like the ones under the recipes tab/cocktails. Some people call them 'girly' drinks. Well, I am a 'girl.'

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to try this drink. I love vodka and pineapple so it sounds appealing. I've never heard of chambord but I'll take your word for it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love cocktail recipes! I'll read a cocktail book -- especially a vintage one -- like it was a novel.

    Too bad I don't like Chambord. The very thought of it reminds me of a particular awful hangover.

    I have the same bee glasses as you. You've inspired me to make a non-Chambord cocktail in one right now. With ice. In fact, at our house, ice usually counts as the mixer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I only liked vodka...

    Regarding temperatures...I like my coffee lukewarm, my water room temp, and my bourbon neat. However, beer must be cold. Icy cold! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rose City Reader, there's a book I think you will love. I wrote about it in the early days of the blog:

    http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/2007/02/cocktail-hour.html

    Aren't those glasses wonderful? I have the squat base ones for candle holders.

    Sorry about the Chambord.

    Les, I sure could never drink straight vodka, but I really like it in cosmos and now this drink. I couldn't drink beer if you paid me. :<) Or whisky.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know chambord so will look into it. Must be good with that pineapple juice.
    nellie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to try Chambord now! I've never had it before. This martini sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Margot, let me know what you think when you try some Chambord, okay?!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now you know someone else who doesn't like ice cold drinks (raising my hand)!

    This drink sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think you'd enjoy this as you sit outdoors in the evening, Sallie!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.