Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mint Juleps


You may go visit Beth Fish Reads to see what others are sharing for Weekend Cooking.

Since childhood, I've dreamed of owning a farm in Kentucky, with those blue-green fields and white fences, where I would raise racehorses. I love horses and wish I'd been one of those kids who had grown up in a horsey family. But I didn't. And though I did own a horse, Bandit, for too few years, I'm not a real rider; and needless to say, I don't have a stable of racehorses. So, I make do by watching 'the greatest two minutes in sports' every year that I can. On this 137th Kentucky Derby Day, I thought I'd make mint juleps in celebration. I'm not a Scotch or bourbon drinker, but Tom is. And we have mint coming up, so I said, why not.

There are a few ways to make them, but I chose the recipe on this site.

4 fresh mint sprigs
2 1/2 ounces bourbon
1 teaspoon powdered sugar
2 teaspoons water


Muddle mint leaves, powdered sugar, and water in a collins glass. Fill glass with shaved or crushed ice. Add bourbon. Top with more ice and garnish with mint sprig.
Drink with a straw.

My mint hasn't grown to sprigs yet, so I used little leaves.
I didn't have a muddler so Tom used the handle end of a wooden spoon which worked great.


I crushed the ice in the blender.


Didn't have any straws but Tom managed just fine.


Addendum: The winner, Animal Kingdom. Good, good boy!


16 comments:

  1. Hope you enjoyed these while watching the race :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Derby Day! I dreamed of owning my own horse when I was younger, but it was not to be. Later, I secretly hoped one of my girls would want one. We had a barn and room for a pasture at the old house, but they weren't interested. Maybe a grandchild (some day!)...

    I've never tried a mint julep, but it sure does look good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nan, you made me laugh here when you said that Tom managed just fine without a straw!
    May I also put in my name for the book from yesterday? I would dearly love it and am glad you also told us about the book by Tom Parker-Bowles, maybe I can get that one from the library!
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the word muddle and I love your glass - but I must confess to not being a great fan of mint julips. Maybe I should retry them though - been a long time since I had one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried this, as I am not a whiskey person, but I love the taste of mint, and it looks so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw just a bit about the Kentucky Derby on the news today. That's a beautiful horse. I always wondered what a mint julep was exactly. Thank you for telling me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a big bourbon drinker but a mint julep while watching the Derby is a must! I too love to watch the three big races.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exciting race! Nice way to watch with a mint Julep, looks so good. I think you managed very well indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious. I picked a bunch of mint from my garden and am drinking mint tea, but your drinks sound more inviting.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  10. Only Tom drank it, book girl! I don't care for the smell or taste.

    JoAnn, when you wrote 'room for a pasture' all I could hear was Hyacinth Bucket describing her sister, Violet, the one who has room for a pony. ;<)

    Kay, I'm interested in his book too!

    Susan, they aren't for me, but it was a fun thing for Derby Day. I love that word too. Muddlers are all the rage now, I gather. You can buy them at kitchen stores. But honestly, that wooden spoon worked perfectly.

    Librarian, it does look pretty!

    Kay, it was exciting to see Animal Kingdom win!

    Beth, I've got the next two on my calendar. Maybe I'll make another mj next year. :<)

    Carol, I didn't have one, but Tom enjoyed his. It was an exciting race!

    Ann, I think I favor the tea over the mj!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Animal Kingdom is one fantastic looking horse. My Mom was the fan of the Triple Crown in our family; Me, not so much.

    But I do like a nice slice of pound cake, though I'm more likely to have it with a strong cup of coffee. Yet, not having any bourbon around the house, I'll try it with tea, in homage to you, should I win.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This pound cake is especially delicious, Webster!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a great way to watch the races!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My clearest memory of reading about mint juleps, having never actually sipped one myself, is from Madeleine L'Engle's book The Other Side of The Sun. I'm sure it's impossible to find a copy of today, but it was a wonderful book which examined prejudice, and I remember the old ladies (probably my age right now!) drinking them on the porch on hot summer nights. Now you've inspired me to make one for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bellezza, thank you for the mention of this book. I've not read her writing for adults, and I keep meaning to do so. Wouldn't you like to be with those ladies on the porch?!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.