Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Apple-Rhubarb Crunch

This recipe comes from a book which Les gave me called, The Joy of Rhubarb. She knows how much I love this stuff! In addition to great recipes, I like the way it looks.


Apple-Rhubarb Crunch

3 cups apples, pared and sliced
2 cups fresh rhubarb, diced
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract













1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup butter or margarine







Preheat oven to 375º F.
Mix apples and rhubarb in a shallow, ungreased 2-quart baking dish; sprinkle with sugar. Drizzle with vanilla extract.

In a bowl, mix flour, sugar, oatmeal, cinnamon and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Spoon over fruit mixture. Bake 25-30 minutes or until fruit is tender. Serve warm with sweetened whipped cream.

My notes:
I diced the apples rather than slicing them.
Both sugars were Sugar in the Raw brand.
I used regular rolled oats.
Definitely butter!
I greased the dish with cooking spray.
I didn't have whipped cream, but it was delicious in plain yogurt.


This is one of my favorite rhubarb treats so far! Well, I guess I always think that, but this is really, really good.

12 comments:

  1. I got this recipe (almost identical from a Prevention Magazine a few years ago. It was yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks crunchy indeed :-) And reminds me of finally asking my mum for her rhubarb chutney recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane, it sure is delicious!

    Librarian, I love oats in these fruit desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nan, I have a very similiar recipe from a dear friend of mine that passed away 2 yrs. ago. You just reminded me I should make this-in honor of her!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherri, I love this thought. I always feel closest to my late mother when I am in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never thought of combining apples with rhubarb. Strawberries, sure, but never apples. My husband is a big rhubarb fan - bet this dessert would be a nice surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love rhubarb! I made some rhubarb crisp last week for my family and this past week a friend brought some over for my birthday....a favourite here!
    Thanks for the recipe Nan!
    Cheers!
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds wonderful and quite easy, too. I'll have to give it a try this summer. I'm so glad you're enjoying the cookbook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks delicious. Crisps are one of my favorite desserts. So easy, so various, so delicious, so healthful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. JoAnn, if you click on the recipes tab (under blog header photo), and then click on fruit desserts, there's another one with rhubarb and apple and strawbs. Yum!

    Joanne, I love your rhubarb coffee cake! A belated happy birthday to you, dear one.

    Les, it's a great cookbook! Thanks again!

    Pat, all of your adjectives are perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've only had rhubarb once, too tart, but in this recipe, I'd think I'd love it, it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carol, all the rhubarb recipes I make have plenty of sugar to make them sweet!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.