Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sunday Supper/Corn-Apple Hotcakes

Here is another recipe from my beloved cookbook with the long name -

Mrs. Chard's Almanac Cookbook
Hollyhocks & Radishes
by Bonnie Stewart Mickelson

The others I've offered thus far are Rhubarb Pie and Onion Rings.


The recipe begins:
For lumberjacks and Sunday mornings... serve with gobs of butter and warm maple syrup.


2/3 cup cornmeal
1 1/3 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon allspice (I used cinnamon)
2 large apples, unpeeled (I peeled them)
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups buttermilk (put some lemon juice or white vinegar in a measuring cup and add milk - let sit a little)
1/4 cup melted butter

Sift together dry ingredients into a large bowl. Core apples and shred or grate (I grated) them, and stir into dry ingredients.
In a separate bowl, beat eggs until frothy and then whisk in the buttermilk and melted butter.
Add to the apple mixture and combine.
Let rest while heating griddle.
Ladle batter on to hot, unoiled griddle to form 5-inch pancakes. Cook until small bubbles form before turning to brown other side.
Should yield 12-14 delicious hotcakes.

My notes:
I used an electric fry pan set at 325º F, sprayed with cooking spray.
The recipe made 24 pancakes.
We did indeed add butter and maple syrup.
These are really wonderful, and they made a perfect autumn Sunday supper.



6 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy! Maybe if we go and chop down some trees in our forest we'll have an excuse to have these...

    Love your quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nan,

    I can't wait to get a supply of cornmeal and try this recipe!

    You asked which other Susan Branch recipes I've tried from Autumn - I've made the Pear Tatin, Molasses Cookies, and her Chocolate Sauce often with great success. I recently tried the Cinnamon Ice Cream, but I must have goofed something up because it turned out as a cinnamon brick! I also love her drink recipe "A Kiss in the Dark" -it's great for sipping around the bonfire or fireplace!
    I know it's been awhile since I posted - sometimes I feel bad that I haven't made a blog for others to read to know something about me and that in a way I'm imposing....
    I love your blog so much that I hardly read any others - you keep me so happily busy looking up things on Amazon & at the library! Again, I thank you for your kindness in sharing your thoughts & ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evaberry, thanks for stopping by. Please do come back and visit.

    Alison, not imposing at all!! I'm always delighted when you stop in and visit. And what a nice, nice thing to say. It means so much to me. If you do start a blog, please let me know! I'd love to read it. I'll check out the recipes. And I think you will love the pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, I'm going to have to start having dinner at your house on Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Tara, wouldn't I love that. Especially if your girl came too. How I'd love to hang out with a kindergartener for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Nan. I printed out the recipe for the flapjacks and then looked at the one for rhubarb pie. Didn't print it because I ordered the cookbook instead. I enjoyed reading about that part of the UP. Next in mind is how to get my husband to take me to those islands up there.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.