Sunday, October 21, 2007

Sunday Supper - Waffles




For tonight's supper I chose another recipe from The Tasha Tudor Cookbook.

Tasha Tudor's Waffles or Pancakes

The recipe begins:
Pancakes were a winter favorite with my children. Served with real maple syrup, they are heavenly. And made on the wood stove on a heavy iron griddle, they are really a treat for breakfast or supper. There was the added fun of feeding the first-cooked to the hens – "hen pancakes," they were called. We once had a Jersey cow who devoured waffles. A look of bliss would come to her liquid brown eyes as she munched. The children claimed that her milk always tasted better on Sunday nights for this reason.

1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
2 farm-fresh eggs, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups milk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter; melted

Sift into a bowl the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
Beat the eggs lightly in a second mixing bowl.
Stir in the milk and the melted butter.
Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and blend.

To make pancakes, spoon the batter onto a hot, greased griddle or skillet. When the tops are bubbly, turn them and cook the other side until nicely brown. Place the pancakes on warm plates and serve immediately.

To make waffles, spoon the batter into a preheated waffle iron. The waffles will be cooked when steam no longer rises from the waffle iron. Serve immediately on warm plates.

Makes 14 4-inch pancakes or 6 waffles.

My notes:
I used the Kitchen Aid mixer and the electric fry pan.
The butter was salted.
I used half whole wheat flour and half unbleached white, both courtesy of King Arthur.
I put that real maple syrup on top, and didn't even need any butter. These are so, so good!
Our waffle maker made 3 waffles, enough for supper and breakfast and maybe Tom's lunch tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. It looks like our Family Dinner night will be switched to Saturday. So I'll be watching your Sunday Supper entries, even closer. :-))))

    Mari-Nanci

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's that time of year when I love to make pancakes, waffles and scrambled eggs for dinner/supper. I'll have to try this recipe. Looks like a lovely cookbook. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look gorgeous and so does that bread! I was so interested by your note about your housekey or lack of it! I guess living in two big cities and having been robbed (my apartment in Chicago) makes me incredibly cautious. I even lock the screen door if I'm home alone or with my daughter and leaving the main door open.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.