Tuesday, December 13, 2011

2012 Foodies Read 2 Challenge


I so enjoyed being involved in the 2011 Foodies Reading Challenge that I have decided to participate again next year. You may sign up for Margot's fun challenge here.

Short-Order Cook: 1 to 3 books
Pastry Chef: 4 to 8 books
Sous-Chef: 9 to 13 books
Chef de Cuisine: 14 to 18
Cordon-Bleu Chef: More than 19

I am choosing the Chef de Cuisine level, and though we don't have to 'pre-select' our books, I'm going to make a tentative list.

1. As Always, Julia
The Letters of Julia Child & Avis Devoto
Food, Friendship & the Making of a Masterpiece
edited by Joan Reardon

2. My Life in France
by Julia Child
with Alex Prud'homme

3. Perfection Salad
Women and Cooking At the Turn of the Century
by Laura Shapiro

4. The Pooh Cook Book
Inspired by Winnie-The-Pooh and The House At Pooh Corner by A.A. Milne
by Virginia Ellison
Illustrated by Ernest H. Shepard

5. Mma Ramotse's Cookbook
Nourishment for the traditionally built
by Stuart Brown

6. High Maples Farm Cookbook
Favorite recipes and family stories of New England farm life
by Edna Smith Berquist

7. Food Rules
an eater's manual
by Michael Pollan
illustrations by Maira Kalman

8. My Life from Scratch
A Sweet Journey of Starting Over, One Cake At A Time
by Gesine Bullock-Prado

9. - 14. Latte Trouble - finished January 1 - book 1
Murder Most Frothy - finished March 12 - book 3
Decaffeinated Corpse -finished April 26 - book 5
French Pressed - finished July 18 - book 9
Espresso Shot - finished August 30 - book 12
Holiday Grind - finished November 2 - book 15
all by Cleo Coyle

15. The Cornbread Book: A Love Story with Recipes - finished September 25 - book 14
by Jeremy Jackson

16. How To Bake A Perfect Life
by Barbara O'Neal

Not on my original list:
Dead Air Can Kill You by Phil Edwards - finished February 22 - book 2
Murder on the Rocks by Karen MacInerney - finished April 21 - book 4
Lunch in Paris by Elizabeth Bard - finished May 1 - book 6
Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools by Victoria Twead - finished May 7 - book 7
Dead and Berried by Karen MacInerney - finished June 25 - book 8
Out of Nova Scotia Gardens by Marie Nightingale - finished August 5 - book 10
Bon Appétit by Jessie Hartland - finished August 25 - book 11
Murder Most Maine by Karen MacInerney - finished September 6 - book 13

Completed challenge. Read 15 books.

21 comments:

  1. Delicious list, Nan. Do read My LIfe in France. I found it delightful. I think I will seek out As Always, Julia. Reading letters is always so insightful.

    I did want to tell you that I was given, and have finished, At Grandmother's Table and loved it. You posted about it quite some time ago. Tom gave it to me for my birthday. yea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to read it last year, Penny but just didn't get to it. I so admire Julia.
    Isn't that just wonderful that Tom gave it to you, and that you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nan I saw your comment over at Scottish Vegan Homemaker and just wanted to pass on this link for a great place to get O. Douglas books used. I just ordered 5 from Alibris
    Most of them come from the UK. They do have quite a few though.

    http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?author=O%20Douglas&aid=1351591

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, thank you Peggy! This is what I love best about blogging, the connections and conversations, even in the comments! I'll go visit the site. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Nan, it is me again with hopes that you don't mind that I've nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award today. You warm my days and nights with your posts and bring a different perspective that I just wanted to share with other. It is really meant to share what is out there in cyberspace with readers. I hope it brings you some fun.

    I just posted today and you can read about it at
    lifeonthecutoff.wordpress.com/2011/12/13/and-the-nominees-are/

    Oh, yes, I was so pleased when Tom gave the book to me and will enjoy it over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Penny so very much for thinking of me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one sounds good, Nan. I'm thinking about it. I've never read any of the Julia Child books.

    So far I only have one challenge I'm definitely taking part in: Bev's Vintage Mystery Challenge. That one is duck soup for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely list, and I like the challenge, too. I am always challenging myself to read more, so we'll see what happens in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yvette, I've been thinking about that one. I have a few vintage mysteries on my shelves and this might be a fun way to read them.

    Clair, I really wish there were another word instead of 'challenge.' I read for fun, period!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you will be reading Edna Berquist's book. It has enhanced my life immeasurably, in the kitchen and in my reading spot on the sofa. I'm biased by knowing the family, of course!
    I think you will also enjoy the Julia Child.
    And all the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great group of books!! Good for you Nan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've just added a ton of titles to my TBR list. Not sure if I should say thank you or not :)

    I've been staying away from reading challenges, but I'm really liking the sound of this one ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely list. You got me started on Cleo Coyle! Lots of other tasty choices here on your menu too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved My Life in France - I'm sure you will enjoy it. This sounds like a delish challenge ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Margaret, it was on your recommendation that I bought the book!! Thank you.

    Sherri, it's all fun!

    Belle, I just join the ones that offer a subject or locale I really want to read about.

    Sallie, I can't wait to get back to the Coffeehouse!

    Debbie, I'm sure I will love it, too. I'm such a fan of that woman!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Nan, I'm so glad you are back for a second year. Foodie books are such great fun to read and your choices are so good. The first three are also on my list. I'm hoping to get to the two Julia Child books soon. Here's to a super reading year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. And I'm so glad you offered it again, Margot!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was toying with the idea of joining this challenge, but I've already signed up for one and I promised myself not to get caught up in the list-making as these new challenges appear and focus on reading what I have on my shelves. Of course, I have a ton of foodie type books and could easily partake in this one, but... I better not commit. But if I did, I'd join you in:

    My Life in France
    As Always, Julia

    And did you know that I own that Pooh Cook Book! I've had it since I was a small child. I blogged about it in 2007, I believe. Off to find the link... Found it and you were a commenter, so you already know I own it.

    While I won't join officially, I will try to read one of my food-related books every month in 2012, as well as bits and pieces from the Julia letters over the course of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Les, this challenge in particular is ALL from my shelves! For the South Asian Challenge I already owned four of them, and the two I bought I wanted to own. Isn't it such a joy to walk around your house, looking at your beloved books, and choosing what you will read next?!! I do plan to do the Julia/Avis letters the way your mother did!
    I have some personal schemes/plans for reading this year in addition to the challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great list! I liked My Life in France and Food Rules. I suspect I would like several of the others on your list, too. I look forward to hearing how you get on with them.

    I'm signing up for another year of the Foodies Read Challenge, too. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.