Thursday, August 30, 2012

Bon Appétit! by Jessie Hartland



46. Bon Appétit!
the delicious life of Julia Child
by Jessie Hartland
juvenile nonfiction, 2012
eleventh book for the Foodies Read 2 Challenge 2012
library book ten
finished 8/25/12


This gets my Letters from a Hill Farm award for the most fun book I've read! Wonderful, wonderful story and illustrations of Julia Child's life. There is such a joie de vivre that comes from every page. There's humor and warmth that feels to this reader much like the humor and warmth which were the essence of Julia, and of the marriage of Julia and Paul Child. It is a perfect book for a parent or grandparent to share with a child who is interested in cooking. I think especially of Les who posted pictures of her food-appreciating granddaughter.

This is an ideal book. Really. Jessie Hartland brings Julia Child alive in words and drawings for a younger generation. I so loved it. All the pertinent facts about Julia's life are here.

Meeting the love of her life



Meeting the second love of her life



Meeting Avis DeVoto through letters



And writing THE book



This book is filled with the sunshine and vitality that emanated from Julia herself. Not only is it a great introduction for children, but it is an informative book for we adults as well. If you haven't read any of the biographies or letters, this is an excellent place to begin learning about just who this woman was.

Bon Appétit is an offering for the Foodies Read 2 Challenge.

18 comments:

  1. just requested it from the library, looks delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Nan, this is a book I will love reading and holding and looking through. I'm off to see if my library system has it. What a delightful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking that someday I want to own it. It is a nice addition to any collection of books by and about Julia.

      Delete
  3. Dear Nan,
    Oh, this is MY kind of book!
    I am making a note of it now.
    Thanks for telling us about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks indeed like a fun book! Never knew anything about Julia Child, she is not that well known over here, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this book and loved it, what a great way to introduce kids (and grownups) to Julia Child's life. I gave it to the budding chef in my family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww . . . my library doesn't have it. I guess I'll try for inter-library loan. It looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS - love the header of Sadie in the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you liked it, Nan!!! Miss you on goodreads, Tanya :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss it too, but just didn't have time to do all that reading about books. I could've spent all day there!
      Thanks again for recommending this dear book.

      Delete
  9. My library doesn't have a copy, but I've decided to purchase it for a special little cook in our family. I have a feeling she'll love it! Of course, I'll have to read it first. :) Thanks so much for bringing it to my attention. BTW, have you seen this one? It's delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm tickled you bought it. I knew it would be perfect for you two! I haven't read the cat one, but plan to.

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.