Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Middle Eastern Cannellini Patties

This recipe is a variation of a dish from the Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites, which a friend gave us years ago. I haven't tried nearly enough of the recipes, but here is one I made for the first time today with excellent results. A hearty and delicious supper.



Middle Eastern Cannellini Patties

Cook one cup of cannellini beans in the crockpot for a few hours until soft.
In a saucepan, cook 1/2 cup brown rice, to make one cup cooked. Drain.
Saute´a chopped onion and bell pepper in 4 teaspoons olive oil. Turn heat down and add a garlic clove (or more) which has been put through a press. Cook for a little while. Put aside.
When beans are done, drain off water, and put the beans through the food processor. Then add rice and mix together for a short time. If you don't have a food processor, you could mash the beans with a fork or potato masher, and just stir in the rice.

Put beans and rice into a bowl and add:
the vegetables and 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley.
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice.
1/2 cup flour.
Lightly whisk an egg and add to mixture.
Stir well.

Heat a griddle to 350º F. and spray with cooking spray. If you don't have a griddle, you could use an electric fry pan, or cook them on the stovetop in a frying pan.
Using a measuring cup (you choose size - I used 1/3 cup), scoop out mixture and flatten it on the griddle with the bottom of the cup.
This makes enough for supper and a couple lunches for Tom to take to school.
We had leftover homemade tomato sauce so topped the patties with it. Tom also used tamari.
Note: the recipe called for cumin, but I decided not to use it this time.

13 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy and looks delicious too. I like the tomato sauce as a topping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now those look really really good!! I love cannellini beans big time and am always looking at creative ways to feed the family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moosewood has some great recipes. This sounds like one my daughters and I would love (not sure about my husband though). Will definitely give it a try - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, Staci, and JoAnn, we really enjoyed them. If any of you make them, I'd like to hear how they turn out and what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Into my file for when we get home -- where there's a food processor!

    Nan I read through all the comments on your coming back post (which I almost never do, esp. now when my computer time is limited) but I wanted to read what people said =- you deserve all the kind words! The ones about not putting pressure on yourself gave me something to think about. We don't want to let blogging become a chore!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just discovered your blog recently so hoping it continues, but understand deciding not to write - I retired my former blog when I moved house, though it is still accessible,but less well organized than this as my technical skill is sadly low. It's easy to find by googling Homely House Journal, is about country living, books, family, etc. Love your book lists, always looking for new authors, especially as good as Miss Read. Dawn L, Bay of Fundy, NB,former CountryLady Blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sallie, I'll be interested to see if you like the patties. I'm so touched you took the time to read all those wonderful notes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dawn, thank you for coming by and leaving me a note. Do you think you might begin a new blog about your new life? I'd love to read about New Brunswick on a regular basis. A friend in Nova Scotia just sent me a spring issue of Saltscapes, and there were some nice pieces on NB.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there, I just made these tonight but I had trouble getting the patties to stick together. They kind of crumbled apart, especially when I flipped them. Any suggestions? I think I probably should have rinsed my canned cannellinis better before mashing them up. :-/ they were still good in pita bread with cucumbers and the Moosewood yogurt tahini dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melissa, after reading your comment, I put some beans in the crockpot to make the cannelloni patties tonight. I'll let you know if they stayed together or not. I have no notes on my recipe that said they didn't when I made them before, so that probably means they stuck together.
    Do you think canned beans would make a difference? Maybe more moist?
    I might suggest using more flour and maybe another egg if you try making them again (and I hope you do!). I'll be back here with a note on how tonight's turn out. Thanks so much for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melissa, you won't believe it but mine were too dry this evening! I probably could have used less flour to hold them together.
    Also, I use whole wheat pastry flour so perhaps that absorbs more??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your feedback! I will try this with a little egg this time (I didn't the last time, which may have contributed to the crumbling). It was still delicious to heat up the leftover crumbles in the skillet and sprinkle them on a salad the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melissa, I agree. Sometimes it just doesn't matter what a pattie or a cookie or a brownie looks like one bit! It's all about the taste. Thanks again for taking the time to come and tell me you make this dish.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.