Friday, November 30, 2012

Book Notes on November 2012 Reading

You may notice mention below of a Kindle Paperwhite. I recently bought one, and absolutely love it. It is a perfect little device. Why would I buy one when I've got an early Kindle and a Nook? Well, because I was using way too many batteries in my reading light. Often I'd fall asleep at night and wake in the morning with the little light right in my eyes. The light in the Paperwhite (and how I love that name) goes off after a few minutes. It is adjustable from quite dim to very bright. The 'print' is very readable. The dictionary is the best yet. It is a touch machine with only an on and off button. It plugs into the computer so I can get downloadable books from the library. As I said, perfect.

In accordance with my post about giving up long book reports, here are some brief notes about this month's reading.

62. Mr. Churchill's Secretary
by Susan Elia MacNeal
fiction, 2012
library book 27
Kindle Paperwhite book 2
finished 11/26/12

Fun, interesting, great setting - London and Bletchley Park in World War II, winning heroine and good supporting characters. And a glimpse of Winston Churchill himself. Delightful.

61. The Poisoner's Handbook
Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York
by Deborah Blum
nonfiction, 2010
library book 26
Kindle Paperwhite book 1
finished 11/21/12

One of the most fascinating books I've ever read. I can't praise it highly enough. It reads like a fictional thriller. Great writing, compelling subject.

60. Lights! Camera! Murder! book 5 in the Jake Russo series
by Phil Edwards
mystery, 2012
Kindle book 19
finished 11/14/12

Hollywood is making a series based on Gary's sense of taste, and the whole crew go out to see how it's going. Of course there is a murder. I am so fond of these characters.

59. A Conspiracy of Friends - book 3 in the Corduroy Mansions series
by Alexander McCall Smith
fiction, 2011
library book 25
Nook book 22
finished 11/12/12

After a rather so-so report on the second in this series, I am glad I went on to the third. I liked it much better. The characters seemed more like real people, and of course the author's kindness abounds throughout.

58. My Hippie Grandmother
by Reeve Lindbergh
illustrated by Abby Carter
children's book, 2003
library book 24
finished 11/2/12

reported on here

57. Holiday Grind - book 8 in the Coffeehouse Mysteries series
by Cleo Coyle
mystery, 2009
Kindle book 18
fifteenth book for the Foodies Read 2 Challenge 2012
finished 11/2/12

reported on here.

22 comments:

  1. What a coincidence -- I'm getting a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas! Can't wait to start using it. Mr. Churchill's Secretary is on my short list of books to read in 2013. I see they are releasing (or have already released) a sequel to that one. I am going to get Cleo Coyle's new book, Holiday Buzz, when it's released next Tuesday. But other than that, no more new books until after the holidays! Continue enjoying your Paperwhite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you will SO love it! Yes, there is a sequel and, I think, another one coming out next year. She's on a roll.
      I actually got an email from Cleo Coyle (well, Alice A.) offering me HB in the ARC form. I said no thanks because I really don't care for that form. And so instead she sent me another one - A Brew To A Kill which is on my list for next year. So kind and generous.

      Delete
  2. I still haven't bought an e-reader. Good to know what you like about yours. One of these days I'll take the plunge.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use it pretty much just at bedtime for the convenience of not having to hold a book. It is just right for me. And this Paperwhite is so wonderful. When I read your second in the Lowenna series (as I think I told you, it is on my plan-to-read list for next year), I'll then buy the third for my KP!
      Christmastime is a good time to take that 'plunge.' :<)

      Delete
  3. Hmmm... I was wondering about that Paperwhite. I think I'll look it up now that you've given your OK on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More than ok, A+. :<) You'll love it, I'm sure.

      Delete
  4. This is a good way of reporting about the books you have read, and we, your readers, can still find more information about a particular book or author if we want to.
    I have recently downloaded many new books - and with "new" I mean new as in not from the 1800s or early 1900s - to my Kindle, and some Christmas-themed ones. Can't wait to start on those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much. I'll be interested to read whatever you write about them. I've found a lot of those older books just unreadable. I know some love them, but me, not so much.

      Delete
  5. I think I will add Mr. churchill's secretary to my list. My favorite fall book has been "Astray". A collection of short stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Emma D. Thanks for the recommendation.

      Delete
  6. I am very keen on book reviews/posts which tell you all you really need to know about a book (in order to decide whether you want to read it) in as few words as possible - not that it isn't interesting to know more, but sometimes the briefest of summaries and a short comment on its strengths is all that is necessary, so I think your notes are ideal, Nan.
    I have an early Kindle but I do rather fancy the Paperwhite ....
    "Gadget Girl"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, thanks so much for the encouragement. It has sure made my reading more fun knowing I didn't have to come up with a long book report. :<))
      I think you oughtta drop a hint to Mr. C.!

      Delete
  7. Nan,
    You are coming around to my way of thinking. "Here is a good book. READ IT!" I hope I have not been a bad influence on you! And like you, I love the word "Paperwhite", isn't that a name for a Narcissus too? Hope you are enjoying some quiet days before Christmas! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is - those that are often 'forced' indoors this time of year.
      George Winston on the Bose today, so a perfect beginning to December.

      Delete
  8. I am adding the names of those mysteries to my list. Lately I have been reading long history books on Venice – now is the time to switch to some good mysteries. I started one by Donna Leon last night, another mystery on Venice of course, this will be my 11th or 12th I think, so I need a change of landscape. Thanks for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I am way impressed. These will definitely be lighter!

      Delete
  9. I downloaded the Jake Russo mystery today, and look forward to reading it. I enjoyed a couple others in the series. I love the idea of comedy mixed with mystery

    I've been thinking off and on now about buying a new Kindle, and following on your recommend. I checked out the PaperWhite. But alas, they don't sell this one in Canada ... quelle drag

    As others have said, I do appreciate your book reviews - short is good. One of the reasons I stopped blogging on My Reading Diary was that I didn't want to do the long version. Maybe I'll take you queue and do a monthly or quarterly summary. I read a lot, so will try this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aren't 'high literature' but the characters are very appealing to me.
      That amazes me that it isn't sold everywhere all at once.
      I'd so love to see a return of your reading diary. I'll go add it back to my bookish blog list in hopes!

      Delete
  10. I really want a kindle paperwhite, but already have a nook simple touch and that makes it harder to justify. An adjustable reading light would be so convenient though...
    Love the short review format!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that same 'justification' concern, but then I thought about the batteries and that light staying on all night. I swear I'm sleeping better now because the Paperwhite goes off. And I really love it so much more than the Nook or early Kindle. It is 'intuitive' in my opinion. Everything works the way I feel it should. I can't praise it highly enough.

      Delete
  11. Mr. Churchill's Secretary and The Poisoner's Handbook have gone on my to-read list. I love the format of this post - it's like looking into a box of truffles and selecting what you think will taste best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that just the best thing for you to say! It encourages me immeasurably. :<) Thanks.

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.