Tuesday, November 6, 2012

My Hippie Grandmother by Reeve Lindbergh


58. My Hippie Grandmother
by Reeve Lindbergh
illustrated by Abby Carter
children's book, 2003
library book twenty-four
finished 11/2/12


This is a most wonderful children's book by the most wonderful author, Reeve Lindbergh. I've written about one of her adult books here on the blog. She has an incredibly warmhearted, kindly spirit which comes through in every word she writes, and this book is no exception. And the illustrations are just perfect. We see the exuberance, the joie de vivre of this 'hippie grandmother' as the granddaughter describes the activities they share.


We're at the Farmer's Market
By noon each Saturday.
We sell some bread and vegetables,
And some we give away.


The grandmother and 'her boyfriend Jim' sing the little girl to sleep 'on a psychedelic sheet.'



As they sit around the kitchen table with the old wood cookstove beside them the little girl tells us

 My mother is a lawyer.
My dad works on TV.
My grandma says someday I'll find
The perfect job for me.

She says I could be President
Or go to outer space.
Or find the cure for cancer
And save the human race.

And then the book ends
I tell her there's one other thing
I really want to do:
"Become a Hippie Grandmother,
So I'll be JUST LIKE YOU!"

Oh, how I love My Hippie Grandmother. What a comforting book to read just before bedtime.

34 comments:

  1. Nan, I really must look into Reeve's adult books. This children's book is a gem, and you know the Lindbergh family fascinates me. Thanks for the peek into this charming book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read all her adult books, and every single one is excellent, beginning way back with Moving to the Country, the best book about the 'back to the earth' movement I've ever read. I love her work.

      Delete
  2. I do love this and the illustrations suit the book perfectly.

    Thanks for the holiday inspiration!

    Love,

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds Great fun ! Thanks Nan :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like so much fun. Thanks, Nan. I am only sorry my daughter is too old for it (but who knows, someday there may be grandkids to read it).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, Nan, and that such a hippie grandmother popped up with your very November looking banner. I adore Reeve Lindbergh children's book and really must seek her adult ones.

    Are you familiar with "Miss Rumphius" who travels the world and who scatters lupine seeds? I think you might enjoy it for your children's library book quest. It is by Barbara Cooney.

    Now, I must find My Hippie Grandmother as I think it would be a perfect gift for our granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love her adult books. She's such a good writer.
      And yes, I do 'know' Miss R. I used to read it to my kids, and still have the book. So, so lovely.

      Delete
  6. Dear Nan,
    I really loved "Under A Wing" by Reeve Lindburgh. And I thank you for letting me know about this children's book by her. Perhaps one day I could buy this for my grandchild? I hope so! One day! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it, too. Or you could just buy it for yourself!

      Delete
  7. Oh, my. My "Hippie Grandmother" and "her boyfriend, Jim." I'm still laughing, for so many reasons. Thank you for the smiles, Nan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! And I love your current header picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The sun was so beautiful yesterday afternoon and I'm happy the camera could capture it.

      Delete
  9. I love the extracts you've given us here, Nan. I'm going to see if I can get a copy in time for Christmas when my grandchildren come to visit. I hope they'll connect with the old hippie in their grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never, evr come across this, but it sounds - and looks - absolutely delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reeve has written many lovely children's books, as well as wonderful adult books. She is such a good writer.

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful book - thanks for sharing, Nan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one of my very favourites :) We have such good taste!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could see this making a lovely grandma-to-be gift.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wonder if my grandsons will have this kind of memories of me? Certainly we make cakes and bread when they come and plant bulbs and cut cauliflowers. Mind you, I don't have a boyfriend Jim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet they will! Are they still young enough that this book might be appealing?

      Delete
  15. I may have to buy this for a certain granddaughter! I'm not quite the hippie that Lindbergh depicts, but we do shop at the Farmer's Market and my hubby looks a bit like "boyfriend Jim," with his guitar and mustache! I will search for a copy today at work. Thanks, Nan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, Rod fits the bill just right! I think she will enjoy it. She's still young enough to still enjoy the rhymes and pictures.

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.