Thursday, September 1, 2011

R.I.P. VI Challenge

Well, I am going to do something completely new. I'm joining Carl's R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril VI. I've never tried it before because I'm not a fan of horror books, or ghost stories, or frankly anything very scary. But I've read the fine print, and Carl makes it clear that there are other categories.

The purpose of the R.I.P. Challenge is to enjoy books that could be classified as:

Mystery.
Suspense.
Thriller.
Dark Fantasy.
Gothic.
Horror.
Supernatural.

The emphasis is never on the word challenge, instead it is about coming together as a community and embracing the autumnal mood, whether the weather is cooperative where you live or not.

There are two simple goals for the R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril VI Challenge:

1. Have fun reading.
2. Share that fun with others.

As I do each and every year, there are multiple levels of participation (Perils) that allow you to be a part of R.I.P. VI without adding the burden of another commitment to your already busy lives. There is even a one book only option for those who feel that this sort of reading is not their cup of tea (or who have many other commitments) but want to participate all the same.

R.I.P. VI officially runs from September 1st through October 31st. But lets go ahead and break the rules. Lets start today!!!
I am going to go all out and participate in the:
Peril the First:

Read four books, any length, that you feel fit (my very broad definitions) of R.I.P. literature. It could be Stephen King or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Ian Fleming or Edgar Allan Poe…or anyone in between.
My choices come from the Mystery category, with one Supernatural exception. I've already pre-ordered the new Chris Bohjalian book called The Night Strangers. How could I not? It is set in my area after all! I first read of it in Yankee Magazine, and you may see the article, here. The other three will be mysteries which seem to be on the dark side:

Blood in the Water by Gillian Galbraith
Iron Lake by William Kent Krueger
Knots and Crosses by Ian Rankin

Addendum: I started reading Knots and Crosses on September 3, and quit. My blogging friend, Geranium Cat had left a comment saying she thought Rankin was chilling, and she's right. The subject matter is too much for me, so I'll be choosing another book. I'm going to try Echoes From The Dead by Johan Theorin instead. We'll see if I cross it out as well. I did. Way too disturbing for this mother to read. I'll choose something else.

And then I read a few chapters of Blood in the Water, and though I didn't find it troubling, I just couldn't get interested in the story or the characters. I've read good things about the book, but I guess it just isn't for me.

I think I'll just start fresh without listing my choices. I'm even going to cross out Iron Lake.

The books I read for this challenge:

Dead Man's Folly by Agatha Christie - finished October 3
Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce - finished October 7

I quit the challenge. Mysteries I read anyway, and the scarier books just do not appeal to me. I tried and quit the Bohjalian book. This type of story is simply NOT for me.


22 comments:

  1. I am glad you decided to join this challenge. Like you said, there is a wide spectrum for this challenge, so that pretty much anyone could find something they want to read that is applicable! I have the Chris Bohjalian book on my kindle and may very well read it for this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, reviews by lola! I'm excited for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too enjoy challenges...
    I'll enjoy hearing about the new book readings, for me, the new challenge is my camera and the piano.

    You read my friend, I'll hit the ivory and camera and hope it's a success for us both.

    Enjoy your books!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lap Dog Knits, I used to try and play the piano, but I learned that I am a better appreciator than player! Have fun in both your ventures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nan, it's great that you're joining in - it's lots of fun! And I love that you say you're not good at horror and scary and then announce you are going to read Knots and Crosses! I think Rankin is really chilling...and I walked past him in Edinburgh last week :-) I managed not to embarrass myself and everyone else by gushing enthusiastically.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geranium Cat, I had no idea. I just wanted to begin the series and that's the first one. We'll see. I can take it if there is a detective I like and can believe in. And wow! you saw him. All I can think of is the Wayne's World, 'we are not worthy.' :<)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read a nonfiction book by Chris Bohjalian earlier this year and loved it.

    So glad you decided to join in. I'm not a big fan of modern horror in my reading but I do like classic and contemporary gothic fiction and mysteries which is why I like having a broad definition of what counts for this event.

    Hope you have a wonderful time and thoroughly enjoy the books you choose to read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nan...so happy you decided to join. Chris B's book is one I am so anxious to read. Just got an ARC today. enjoy the book and the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carl, I have a book of his newspaper columns called Idyll Banter (but haven't read it yet). They are also online:
    http://www.chrisbohjalian.com/

    Thanks so much for the gracious welcome.

    Diane, thank you.
    I won't be able to read mine until October. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is the one, Idyll Banter. It was very good. Or at least I thought it was as I enjoy that kind of warm, small town slice of life stuff. And the short story he ended the book with was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carl, thanks for telling me. I'll try and read it sooner than later!

    Kailana, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm tempted because I read mysteries all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome to the RIP! It's the only challenge I faithfully do every year - it's a good crowd and Carl's so good to host us.

    I've never read any Ian Rankin but am curious; I'll have to keep an eye out for your review.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Kate! He does seem very kind. I have seen Rebus on tv but never read a book, and felt this was a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not a big horror fan, but I do like suspense and mystery so this is the perfect way to get some great titles onto my reading list. Sounds like you are off to a good start! Good luck. This is my first RIP also :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Nan...Thank you so much for the recommendation on the Susan Cheever book - I wasn't aware of it and will look for it asap!
    {And, btw, I'm going to try to like Hawthorne too...he's one of those authors I'd rather read about than read!}

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you're doing RIP this year, Nan. Can I recommend Footsteps in the Dark by Georgette Heyer? It's a mystery in the style of Agatha Christie but less serious. I read it for RIP last year and thought it was huge fun. I think it would suit you more than some of the more scary books.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cath, thanks for the recommendation! I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.