Thursday, April 7, 2011

Potato Pancakes - Four

I have no idea where this recipe came from. It was in my recipe box, and simply titled:

German Potato Pancakes

Grate 3 (or more) cups potatoes into a bowl. (I used 4) - a cup is equal to a good-sized russet.
Combine with 2 beaten eggs.
Add 2 Tablespoons grated onion (or chives in season).
Mix together and stir in:
1 1/4 Tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon parsley
1 teaspoon salt

Make into patties and fry in olive oil.
I didn't make them into patties; I simply spooned the mixture onto the griddle, which was greased with cooking spray.

This time we have a recipe with more potatoes, and a new addition of parsley. There is a different potato/flour ratio. No baking powder.

You can see that the pancakes are more scraggly - not as formed as the other versions - due to more potatoes with less to hold them together.


The recipe made more pancakes, 8 instead of 6, and they were larger. I think because of more potato and less flour they cooked differently. The pancakes were a touch darker, but the potatoes didn't cook as well - were a bit raw. We couldn't taste the onion that much. Our verdict: this is the first recipe we are going to throw away and not make again.

3 comments:

  1. OK... I'll toss it out, too. I like the look of the parsley in there though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad. I wonder if it would help to parboil the potatoes first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kay, you'll see from today's post the final results!

    JoAnn, I wouldn't want to bother when there are other recipes I like just fine. :<)

    ReplyDelete

I am really going to try and respond to your comments as soon as they come in! I'm so grateful for your notes.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.