Saturday, March 5, 2011

Cranberry Pie

Please visit Weekend Cooking and join in if you wish.

I clipped this recipe from a magazine - Yankee, I believe - and it comes from a book called, Cider Beans, Wild Greens, and Dandelion Jelly by Joan E. Aller. The pie is so, so delicious. Tom and I and Margaret finished off the whole thing in an evening. Yes, it's that good! My apologies to those of you who are trying to help me get over my fear of piecrust baking. I promise I will try it someday. For this crust I used a frozen one from a fantastic company. It was excellent. I could have eaten just the crust with nothing inside.


Cranberry Pie

1 9-inch piecrust
1 1/2 cups cranberries (recipe called for fresh; I used frozen)
1 cup sugar
1 heaping tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 egg white (I gave the yoke to our dog, Sadie)
1 cup heavy whipping cream (not whipped up)

Preheat oven to 425º F.
Roll out piecrust and arrange in a 9-inch pie pan.
Pour cranberries into crust to form a thick layer.
In a medium bowl, sift together 2/3 cup sugar and the flour.
In a separate bowl, beat egg white until stiff peaks form, and then fold into the sugar/flour mixture.
Slowly stir in cream until combined.
Cover the cranberries with the remaining 1/3 cup sugar.
Pour cream mixture over the top.
Bake for 10 minutes, and then turn heat down to 350º F. and bake for about 40 minutes longer. (Mine took longer than this - just keep an eye on it after 40 minutes)

This is very quick and easy to make, and such a great treat!


24 comments:

  1. I can honestly say I've never tasted a cranberry pie but, now that I read about yours, I want one. I love how easy it is to make. I'm going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is not to love about this pie?? It sounds almost like a caflouti -- yummers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margot and Beth, if I hadn't just bought a flat of organic strawberries from Florida at a very good price from my health food store, and wasn't eating them with cocoa whipped cream -

    http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/2007/06/strawberries-with-cocoa-whipped-cream.html

    - I would probably make another cranberry pie today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cranberries are one of my favorite. I put them in my chicken and turkey pie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Esme, I've just used them in desserts and baked goods and love the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm... this looks wonderful! I've never seen a cranberry pie before either, but this looks great. Your header photo looks brrrr.... cold, but beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that looks really yummy and pretty. I don't think I would ever be brave enough to make my own crust!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never had either, Kay, but I'll sure be making it again!

    Staci, if you are interested in trying to make your own crust, a dear blogger emailed me with all the steps, and it doesn't sound so hard at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to bake, but pie crusts have always been the bane of my existence, lol. Just can never get them right, so I have given up and usually use the frozen varieties...this pie looks wonderful...do you think it would work as well with frozen blueberries?

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey, I used cranberries too this week...but a little differently.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cranberry Pie. The closest I've come is Apple/Cranberry Pie, but I didn't make it. It was delicious though.

    I think this one looks delicious as well. Even without the apples.

    I think I might even break down and make this - with a store-bought pie shell, always.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nan, I have never heard of Cranberry Pie, but it looks scrumptious!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, I love cranberries - relish, muffin, bread ... why not a pie?!

    I'm going to see if that frozen pie crust is available in my area - I don't make my own either, but I'm not crazy about the frozen options - your Vermont Mystic looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Book Girl, I'm sure it would be great! In fact, I may try that myself with blueberries or maybe a mix of the two.Yum!

    Caite, a bit different from a pie. :<)

    Joy, and it tastes even better!

    Yvette, this crust is amazing. I have a recipe for Cranberry Apple Crisp which I bet you'd like. Easy and delish.

    http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/2007/10/joy-of-baking-cranberry-apple-crisp.html

    Sherri, I hadn't till I saw this recipe. So good.

    Dawn, I am quite sure you can get it. I bought mine at Shaw's. It is THE best.

    Sheila, it is!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a pretty pie! Not sure if I'd care for the cranberries, though. Maybe blueberries..

    Now strawberries with whipped cream is right up my alley! :)

    Beautiful header, by the way. And I love the packaging for the pie crusts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ernestine, Les, and Aisling, I am a big fan of cranberries though I'm sure any berries would work in this pie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That pie looks scrumption Nan. Thanks for leaving a note on my blog, glad you enjoyed Yorkshire.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wessex Reiver, I did enjoy your posting! And it's a great pie.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The pie crust's name cracks me up, "mystic"? xD Your pie looks delicious, makes me want to bake something with cranberries too :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Chinoiseries, maybe that will be your next weekend cooking. ;<) I look forward to any cranberry recipes. I still have a lot in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.