Saturday, October 2, 2010

Apple Brown Betty

This recipe comes from an old internet friend, Anita. She and I were in a Yahoo homemaking group together for years. I posted another of her recipes last year, Apple Muffins.


Apple Brown Betty

Sometimes called Apple Crisp, this delicious baked apple dessert has a crumbly sweet topping that sets it apart from other baked apple recipes.

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup water
4 cups of apples, peeled and sliced

1. Combine the sugar, oats, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and stir in butter with a fork until well-mixed and crumbly.

2. Add one-third of the apples, then one-third of the crumb mixture to a greased, 1 1/2 quart baking dish (I used a 2 quart).
Repeat until all apples and crumb mixture are added.

3. Pour the 1/4 cup of water over the mixture.

4. Bake for 30 minutes in preheated 375º F. oven.



Delicious, and believe it or not, this was our supper tonight! I will certainly make the recipe again.

17 comments:

  1. We had company Thursday evening so Wed night a made an apple/cranberry cobbler. Recipe is almost the same except I add a 1/2 can of whole berry canberry sauce. Very yummy.

    Hope you are doing well Nan. Love the photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMmmm. Apple Brown Betty is the perfect treat for a cool Autumn evening. Or breakfast, Or lunch, even. I must put spples on the grocery list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks yummy and so easy! Do you need to use any certain type of apple???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so making this tonight! It looks delicious! So glad you are back to delight us with delicious recipes, Nan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nan!! I saw your comment over on my blog, and decided to come over here and make a nostalgic visit to your archives, only to discover that . . . you're BACK! I'm selfishly pleased and grateful that you've decided to keep writing your "letters." I always look forward to seeing what you're reading and cooking, and of course I want to see how that house looks when finished!
    Kind regards -
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane, I love cranberries and apples together. There's a Susan Branch recipe - a crisp, I bet you'd enjoy.
    http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/2007/10/joy-of-baking-cranberry-apple-crisp.html

    Pamela, yes!

    Webster, it was great. All gone now. :<)

    Staci, I know people often recommend different varieties but I always just use what I have on hand.

    Bookssnob, thank you! hope it was good.

    Karen, thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cait, you won't be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read your recipe, was reminded of the apples I had in the larder, and promptly made a batch for Sunday dessert.

    Thanks for sharing such a delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That completely delights me, Sprite!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your recipe inspired me to make a cobbler with some extra pears I had. It was delicious, but I still prefer apple.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh! Dessert for supper, second only in wonderfulness to breakfast for supper (my personal fave). This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooooo! Oooooo! You're back! I am so happy. You've totally made my day and, well, thanks for keeping on' keeping on'.... Hugs, Debra

    ReplyDelete
  13. Debra, thank you for coming by to say so!

    ReplyDelete

Now that I am a grandmother, it seems that I am often late in replying to your most-appreciated comments. But I read them as soon as they come in, and I will write as soon as I can. Please do come back and check. I love these blogging conversations.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.