Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Toasted Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Is there anything more fun for a reader who also loves to cook than to find recipes in a book? Peter Abrahams' second book in the Echo Falls series, Behind the Curtain offers a few at the back of the book.
"The secret of this recipe is in the oatmeal; it's toasted in the butter before baking. This makes the cookies crisp and nutty and the best you've ever eaten."

Toasted Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

3/4 cup butter
2 1/2 cups oatmeal (not instant, not large flakes)
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Melt butter until light brown. Do not burn.
Add oats and stir constantly until oats are golden and toasted.


Remove from heat and cool thoroughly.

Combine egg, sugar, and vanilla and beat until light.
Mix dry ingredients and add to egg mixture, along with oatmeal.
Add chocolate chips.

Drop by teaspoon onto greased cookie sheet and bake in preheated 350º oven 8-10 minutes or until golden.

My notes:
I used rolled oats.
I used Sugar in the Raw instead of brown sugar. As I've noted in other recipes this is the sugar I use when either white or brown sugar is called for.
The cookies took a bit longer than 10 minutes.

These cookies are simply delicious but I can see how they might not be for everyone. If you love oats, and love a chewy cookie this is for you. Though there is a cup of sugar, they aren't as sweet as regular chocolate chip cookies. I loved them and will certainly make them again.

15 comments:

  1. Oh gosh.
    These look amazing.
    With a cup of hot tea.
    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound lovely, Nan. We were just watching an article on The News saying that scientists now think that vitamin B helps halt early signs of Alzheimers. My husband and I were wondering which foods contain this vitamin. He just came to tell me that he Googled it and vitamin B is in chocolate chip cookies. LOL! I'd better cook some of yours for him tomorrow... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seriously will have to try these. Look awesome and I think my son and his friends would gobble them up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did I tell you my husband's doctor has discovered he has an allergy to oatmeal?! Is that not insane! To top it off, chocolate is also included in the list. We're two very unhappy campers over here, but anything that puts his terrible psoriasis at reat...at least I can eat chocolate in secret. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look great! I just left the kitchen, 6 dozen plain oatmeal, raisin oatmeal, and choc chip oatmeal done along with a go of rock cakes, the bread and buns are in the oven now. I will def give your recipe a try, toasting the oatmeal would certainly boost the flavour.
    Have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pamela, or milk. :<)

    Ernestine, I'll be interested to see what you think. They aren't my favorite cc cookies, but still very good.

    Cath, I'm sure this is true about the Bs. Lucky they are in something so good!

    Staci, maybe, but these actually taste more like a 'grownup' cookie. The boys might like one of the others better. You may find 'recipes' now under the blog header picture.

    J.G., or winter, spring, summer. :<)

    Bellezza, allergies are so weird. Sad for your fella.

    Niki, oh my gosh, what a baking day!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love chewy, oatmeal cookies. I'll definitely try this recipe, Nan! Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Les, they were definitely good but not my fave cc cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I finally made these to rave reviews. After dinner, Tom tried one and was trying to figure out what was different. Aha, says he, you put in coconut. Uhuh, says I, it is toasted oatmeal. Thank you for sharing. We'll talk about the extra pounds another day. haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Life on the cut off, I am so happy you took the time to write back about the cookies. It means a lot to me. And what a fun story. I think I'm giving up about the 'extra pounds.' :<) I like baking and eating too much.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.