Friday, September 17, 2010

Sour Cream Softies



I found this on an email recipe list many years ago. These cookies are really wonderful. Here is a quote from the person who offered the recipe:
This recipe appeared about 30 years ago in Family Circle magazine. Cinnamon-sugar "frosts" the tops of these big old-fashioned puffs. They are soft and a bit cakelike and puff up high in the center. I have added chocolate chips to these sometimes, too and they were quite nice.
They do puff up just beautifully. I didn't add chocolate chips this time.

Sour Cream Softies

3 cups sifted flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 cup soft butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup sour cream
cinnamon sugar


Measure flour, salt, baking powder, and soda and sift together into a bowl.
In a separate bowl, cream butter with sugar until well blended.
Beat in eggs and vanilla.
Add flour mixture alternately with sour cream to make a thick batter.
Drop by by rounded spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets.
Put a mixture of sugar and cinnamon in a little bowl, dip the bottom of a glass into it, and then flatten the cookie dough with it.
Bake in 400ºF oven 12 minutes, or until lightly golden around the edges.
Remove from cookie sheets and cool completely on wire racks.
Makes about four dozen.

My notes:
1. I use this great little kitchen gadget to scoop out the batter.


2. Keep checking on cookies. They bake quickly.

3. Pour glass of milk and enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Goodness! I need to bake these this weekend!!! They look incredible.

    And so does your header. What kind of camera do you have, Nan? I'm looking into getting a Point-and-Shoot. Something smaller than my big SLR so I can carry it in my purse or bike bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They took no time at all and are just fantastic! And the dogs love them, too.:<)
    I'm going to email you about the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Nan:

    These look so good, I think I will have to give them a try. I think though I will add some chocolate chips....milk chocolate that is. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That header photo really is fabulous - and so, I guess, are those cookies!
    You know I am not really much of a cook or baker myself, but every time I read your recipes and see the pictures coming with them, I feel like going to the kitchen and make something nice myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Avon Musings, I'm sure your milk choc.chips will be perfect!

    Librarian, I think these would be a perfect treat for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have such a soft spot for cookies! I love the look and sound of these........

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let me know if you try them, Andi! I think you'll love them!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.