Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Lost Art of Gratitude by Alexander McCall Smith



36. The Lost Art of Gratitude - sixth in the Isabel Dalhousie series
by Alexander McCall Smith
fiction, 2009
unabridged audio read by Davina Porter
finished, 6/28/10




There is a particular form of disappointment that readers feel. When we've loved a series, we expect we will always love it. And then one day a book comes out and we don't care for it in the old way. We hope against hope that it isn't a downward spiral, though we know it well could be.

Of all Alexander McCall Smith's works, I love the Isabel Dalhousie series the most. I've felt a special connection with her since the beginning. I wrote about this a bit when I did a book report on the book just previous to The Lost Art of Gratitude called The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday.

In this book, I just found myself annoyed with her. I didn't think she used good judgement when she got involved in an unpleasant situation. I understand that people come to her for advice and help but I thought her common sense was lacking in this instance. Maybe I read too many mysteries but it seemed like she took a chance confronting a woman in a remote place. This woman is not a good person, and though I knew that AMS would not let her harm Isabel, I still thought it was a silly thing for Isabel to do.

And, as I noted in the other book report, I can't say too much about the story/characters because there have been important changes which have occurred from book to book. Let's see: I can say she has a boyfriend. But he is almost too perfect, and I am a bit tired of her descriptions of his physical beauty and his kindness.

So, there you have it. Short and not so sweet this time. I rarely finish books I don't care for, but I felt that Isabel deserved my loyalty after giving me such reading joy in the previous books. It isn't a horrible book by any means but it was just ho-hum for me. Does this mean I won't read the latest one, The Charming Quirks of Others? Of course I'll read it. Maybe Isabel was just in a funk. Maybe she just needs to not say yes to every request for help. Maybe her fella will grow a bit as a person. Whatever does or doesn't happen, I'll continue to read about this kindly, well-intentioned woman who thinks deeply about life and how to live it.

12 comments:

  1. A few borrowers in the library have said the same thing about AMS books lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have felt that way about the Jacquline Winspear Maisie Dobbs series and Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series--sometimes the characters behave badly or the situations seem contrived and trite--then I have to remind myself this is fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny that you should feel this way. I've felt that I've read that last few books in this series only out of a sense of duty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a coincidence. I just finished listening to a Maisie Dobbs book and felt a bit disappointed. Not nearly as good as the previous books in the series. But I'll continue. As you said about Isabel, maybe Maisie was in a funk, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cait, thanks for telling me this - I'm really amazed. I sort of live in my own little book world, and am so surprised to learn someone feels the same way about a book as I do. :<)

    Morning's Minion, I've not read the Gabaldon though I've sure read of it! I haven't had this experience with Maisie.

    Clair, as I wrote to Cait, I'm amazed.

    Les, and as I wrote to Morning's Minion, I haven't felt this way about any Maisie books. From your sidebar, it looks like it was Messenger of Truth -

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I am waiting on "The Charming Quirks of Others" but I too, like you was very disappointed in this book. Something was lacking.
    I'm now reading the 44 Scotland series by AMS. Have you read those?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mim, I almost wrote in the book report that AMS is the king of book titles. I love them all.

    I have read most of the Scotland Street series. I didn't like the first one, but then when I read the second one, Espresso Tales, I began to love them. I haven't read book 5 or 6 yet. My only ongoing criticism is that Bertie as a six year old just doesn't seem believable, even for a genius child.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to say that the 44 Scotland series are my favorites after The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency.

    I named my little dog Bertie Pierre, after all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm positive that she was in a bit of a funk...you're the one who convinced me to give her another chance and I will!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clair, that's wonderful! I love the name!

    Staci, yes, please don't let this one book report put you off the series!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Isabel, they are my favorite A.MCS books. I agree though about this one, time for the characters to grow a bit. It feels as though it was written rather too fast, though, what would I know!
    I will certainly read the next one, though I am off detective books on the whole at the moment.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carole, that's an interesting thought about written too fast. I guess I just want to see a bit of change - it's so much the 'same old, same old' when it comes to her fella and her niece. I want a bit more depth.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.