Monday, January 11, 2010

Short Story Monday/My Dear Miss Fairfax by Nicola Slade

Short Story Monday is hosted by John at The Book Mine Set.

I am delighted to say that you may read this story at Nicola Slade's homepage without getting up from your computer.

My Dear Miss Fairfax is an epistolary short story, told in letters between three people in the year 1840. The first letter comes to Lady Steyne from Ambrose Rogers, a man in his late thirties. They had met in the past and he asks for her help in finding a woman who could become his wife. She happens to know a woman in her early thirties, Adelaide Fairfax, whose parents are deceased. Lady Steyne introduces them through letters, and then they begin writing to one another. He has inherited a plantation from his boss on a tropical island. Miss Fairfax has lived in the family parsonage, and Lady Steyne lives in London. There is a really nice touch on Nicola's website whereby a photograph suggesting one of the three homes is featured next to the letter from that person. The page background is a lovely sea green making the story a real pleasure to read on the screen. Because the couple has a mutual acquaintance in Lady Steyne, one never fears the story ending badly. In just a few short pages, the reader gets to know the letter writers, and get a good sense of the island. This is a warm tale beautifully told, and I loved it.

Another wonderful short story by Nicola Slade at Letters from a Hill Farm:

here

13 comments:

  1. After reading your comments about Nicola Slade, I decided to take a look at her blog. Unfortunately, I was unable to scroll down more than a few inches and wondered if anyone else had the same problem. Thanks.

    Linda in Chapel Hill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, it isn't a blog; it's a webpage. You scroll down just a little, read the first page, and click on the right hand side for 'next page.' Do you see that? I see it with both sarfari and firefox.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh what a delightful heading picture! The perfect choice for this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the Nicola Slade hookup.

    I love visiting your blog and then being led down another twisting trail (and tale).

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Nan, for your kind words, I'm so glad you enjoyed the story. The credit for the photos and design of the pages must go to my wonderful website designer, Keri Thomas, who is my friend's husband. I do agree that the photographs make it very special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love epistolary novels, but don't think I've seen ever read an epistolary short story. This one sounds wonderful - I'm going to print it now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A charming story, nice to read the letter form, it works very well I think.
    Thank you for posting it.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yet another person talking about Nicola Slade! I'm clearly destined to read her...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really nice review. I'm going to check it out. Thanks for the link.

    I also did a short here: http://teddyrose.blogspot.com/2010/01/chicxulub-by-t-coraghessan-boyle-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nan, I just read the story. It was so beautiful. I just did a post about it on my blog for next Monday. Thanks again for the link to the story. I plan to go back and read her other short.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pamela, I just love this old WPA poster.

    Sharon, Thank you so much.

    Nicola, They added such a nice touch. And oh, what a wonderful story!

    JoAnn, I hadn't seen one before either. I'm so pleased you took the time to print it out.

    Carole, I'm so glad you read it.

    Cath, I have a novel by her on the shelf which I haven't gotten to read yet called Scuba Dancing.

    Teddy, I'm just delighted. If you click 'contact me' on the top of Nicola's page, you may write to her directly about her stories. Now, I'll come over and read your Monday story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A short story is just what I need these days, Nan. Thanks for sharing!

    And how awesome that you get comments from Sharon Lovejoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alison, you read my mind. I was going to email and ask how you are doing - it's been a while. You are in the busy years, my dear! I'm thrilled that Sharon comes by to visit!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.