Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Joy of Baking - Cranberry Apple Crisp



Cranberry Apple Crisp

From Susan Branch’s Autumn

She begins the recipe by saying: It doesn't get better than this!

4 large apples, peeled and sliced
1 cup cranberries
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oats
3/4 t. cinnamon
3/4 t. nutmeg
1/3 cup softened butter

Preheat oven to 375 º F.
Butter an 8 x 8 pan.
Place apple slices and cranberries in the pan.
Mix together remaining ingredients and sprinkle over fruit.
Bake about 30 minutes.
Serve hot with ice cream or cold with whipped cream.

My notes:
1. Everytime I make this I think, well that's it. This is hands down my favorite crisp. Two of my favorite fruits together.

2. This is such a quick and easy and delicious dessert for a fall day.

3. Now, here is a tip that might really come in handy someday in your baking lives. I forgot the sugar. I know, how could I do that? Well, here's the reason. At the same time I was making this, I was trying to add a video to my blog; a movie of my own making, a little minute long feature called Black Dogs. After an hour I gave up. I guess a satellite connection just isn't fast enough. So, back to my very helpful hint. When I took it out of the oven, it looked a little dry. I tasted it, and thought hmm,this isn't very sweet. Having nothing to lose, I put it in a bowl and stirred in the sugar, and it worked perfectly. This feels a little like a hint Amy Sedaris would offer, rather than Martha Stewart.

Before: isn't this just so pretty?

After: can you almost taste it?

11 comments:

  1. Hi Nan,

    I agree this is the BEST crisp. Last year, I even brought it as a sidedish instead of as a dessert to Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone loved it! I don't know what I'd do without that Susan Branch Autumn book - it's definetly one of my "desert island" books!
    Thanks again for sharing all your great recipes.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alison. I was just thinking about you, that I hadn't heard from you in a while. What other recipes from that book have you made? I love the brownie one.

    http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/
    2007/03/brownies.html

    I may be bringing the crisp to Thanksgiving this year. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just finished off a plain old apple crisp last night (with plenty of ice cream for me). This one sounds delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nan, Wow! That looks so yummy. I love fruit crisps and cobblers (We had peach-blueberry cobbler for breakfast one day last weekend.) This combination looks incredible. Like you, I love cranberries and I love apples.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your apple bake looks so yummo. You and I share the same favorite sweets. But where I live I don't get cranberries. I've never tried them. I think I'll make plain apple crumble today, from your recipe. It's like mine. The image from your recipe reminds me of a children's book I have. It has lots of pots of jam and cosy kitchens and patchwork cushions. I was looking at the picture book wondering why I like it. Some things are hard to explain. I'm glad we like the same pics and pie. xx Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh that looks sooooo good, will try that this weekend

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, Nan, after talking up bloglines, I haven't got updates on you for the past few days, and you've got lots here to see! Thanks so much for reminding me of this book - I just bought 2 lbs of fresh Cranberries from the farmer's market and am deciding what to do with them. Don't you just love Susan Branch! I also own and love her Summer book. I wish I could pop over to your place for tea = )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nan~You've mentioned two of my favorite cookbooks--Susan Branch's Autumn and the Tasha Tudor Cookbook. Thank you for reminding me to pull them off the shelf. I think it's time for a nice pot of tea and a good long sit with two favorites. I might even be inspired to do a bit of baking!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the comments. As always, if you try a recipe, I'd love to hear how it turned out for you. I so like talking about baking with others who enjoy it. Tara, I posted another cranberry recipe you might like here:
    http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/
    2006/12/cranberry-cornbread.html

    Both the crisp and the cornbread are perfectly wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I *can* taste it because I'm eating it right now! I made it last night and it's delicious. Unfortunately the other people who live with me were not thrilled and one wouldn't even try it (doesn't like cooked apples and all that...)

    I love the topping! I'm going to check out your cranberry cornbread, I certainly have plenty of cranberries.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the before and after pictures. That does look mouth-wateringly delicious. I may have to buy this cookbook, too.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.