Sunday, April 29, 2007

Griddle Cakes


You may know that I love Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe/Archie Goodwin mystery series. A few years back I bought this delightful companion to the books. Each recipe is preceded by a little excerpt from a book. Tonight's recipe begins:

The trouble with mornings is that they come when you're not awake. It's all a blur until I am washed and dressed and have somehow made my way down to the kitchen and got orange juice in me, and I'm not really awake until the fourth griddle cake and the second cup of coffee. [A Window For Death]

1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups sour milk (or more)
2 Tablespoons melted butter

Sift the flour and cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and sugar into a bowl. In a separate bowl beat the eggs until lemon yellow in color and add the sour milk. (Sour milk can be made by adding a few drops of lemon juice to sweet milk and allowing it to stand for a few hours in a warm place.) Add the dry ingredients to the egg/milk mixture, and beat with a wire whisk or electric hand beater. Add the melted butter gradually while beating.

Ladle out the batter with a dipper onto a hot, lightly oiled griddle (I use cooking spray and an electric frypan). You may add blueberries or other fruit if you wish. When the bubbles on top have opened and the underside is golden brown, turn each cake and cook for 1 or 2 minutes more. Serve with butter and maple syrup. Delicious! A perfect Sunday night supper.

3 comments:

  1. How ironic that my DH just asked me to make him American pancakes with real maple syrup for breakfast today. It is a national holiday here in Holland so everyone has Monday off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great quote, Nan. We do love our griddle cakes and usually have them in the evening rather than for breakfast. We're light breakfast eaters around here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nan, is that a pink Fiesta plate? I love Fiestaware! :)

    I haven't had pancakes in so long, guess what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.