Thursday, January 1, 2015

Today's poem by May Sarton

New Year Resolve

The time has come
To stop allowing the clutter
To clutter my mind
Like dirty snow,
Shove it off and find
Clear time, clear water.

Time for a change,
Let silence in like a cat
Who has sat at my door
Neither wild nor strange
Hoping for food from my store
And shivering on the mat.

Let silence in.
She will rarely speak or mew,
She will sleep on my bed
And all I have ever been
Either false or true
Will live again in my head.

For it is now or not
As old age silts the stream,
To shove away the clutter,
To untie every knot,
To take the time to dream,
To come back to still water.

May Sarton (1912-1995)
From -
The Silence Now: New and Uncollected Earlier Poems 1988

15 comments:

  1. Happy New Year...A wonderful poem to start the new year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really very taken with it. Happy you liked it. And a wonderful new year to you!

      Delete
  2. Great minds think alike - I posted the same poem today :)
    Happy New Year, Nan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed! Wishing you and your family a wonderful year!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful words...

    Beautiful lady...

    Happy and Healthy New Year wishes,
    Tessa~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so love her poetry. Wishing you a great new year!

      Delete
  4. Lovely thoughtful poem, Nan. Happy New Year to you and your family - joy, peace and love in abundance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, isn't it. I so love her work. And the same to you!!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing this poem.
    Happy New Year to you, dear Nan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely. (And is the couch in the pictures the one you just told me about? Looks comfy).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love May Sarton and haven't read her poetry for far too long. This one seemed to speak strongly to my life today. Thank you for posting it and for sending me back to her. I wish you and yours a very happy 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Taking time to dream! Love that Nan. Sometimes it is too easy to get caught up in the hustle of it all. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful poem. The older I get the more I crave quiet and stillness.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.