Sunday, February 23, 2014

Sunday Supper - Wild Rice Buttermilk Pancakes

It's been ages since I did a Sunday Supper posting, so will remedy that this evening. I had some wild rice left over from making Wild Rice and Quinoa muffins the other day, and I had some buttermilk in the fridge that needed to be used, so I found a recipe online for Wild Rice Buttermilk pancakes. I tweaked it a bit, and the pancakes were delicious! The chewiness of the wild rice is wonderful. 


Wild Rice Buttermilk Pancakes

Mix together:
2 cups flour - 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry and 1/2 cup white
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar

In a separate bowl, beat together:
2 eggs
2 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons melted and cooled butter

Stir in:
1 cup cooked wild rice

Cook on medium heat. After my electric griddle wore out, I bought one


that goes on the stove, but I think I'm going to get either another electric griddle or an electric frying pan because I've been finding this stove top edition cooks unevenly. Still, most of the pancakes turned out fine, and were excellent. 


9 comments:

  1. wow, i bet these pancakes were great....who would have thought?

    is that snow picture current? if so we have way more snow than you which is surprising!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were great! And yes, it is current. I think everyone has had more snow than we have this winter. We missed all the big, big snowstorms, but still have enough for all the winter activities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wild rice in pancakes! Who would have thought? I do like pancakes with texture (oatmeal is my favorite so far), but will have to try these sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious! I like putting cornmeal into my pancakes for a little bit of crunch but I bet wild rice provides a nice texture too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your new header with the splashes of color!

    My electric griddle has been around for 20+ years. I've tried those stove-top versions but like you, prefer the electric.

    So happy to see you on Instagram!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I missed that post on the weekend and only saw it now... before my own breakfast.
    You do love your buttermilk, don't you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look wonderful. Quite low on sugar too which is good for us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so behind in writing back to comments. Please know that I am grateful to you and have read them.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.