Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Leavenworth Case by Anna Katharine Green


45. The Leavenworth Case - book 1 in the Ebenezer Gryce series
by Anna Katharine Green
mystery, 1878
Kindle book 17
finished 8/23/12


Though this book wasn't that long, it seemed to take me ages to read it. I found it verbose. It featured long monologues, either written in a letter or spoken, which explained events and details. I was surprised at how dry the book felt after so enjoying That Affair Next Door. This book didn't feature the interesting Amelia Butterworth, but it was the first case for Green's detective Ebenezer Gryce. He is intelligent and clever but has an odd quirk of never looking directly at anyone. He addresses his statements to nearby desks or vases. We saw the case through the eyes of a junior partner in a law firm who becomes involved because a family's lawyer was unavailable. He is completely obsessed with a woman who may or may not be the killer.

I found most of the characters tiresome and unreal. This was Green's first book so I cut her some slack, especially in light of the other book I read. I decided to read the second Amelia book, hoping to recapture my delight in this author's work. You may have read the first part in a Book Beginnings on Friday post. It was intriguing and I looked forward to the adventure, but it quickly became like a gothic romance with ghosts, and crippled children who sit and watch out their windows. There is an everpresent feeling of foreboding. I read a few chapters and decided it wasn't for me, and sadly that Anna Katharine Green is just not my cup of tea. You may read The Leavenworth Case online here. I got it for free on the Kindle.

12 comments:

  1. I am always excited to find new cozy mystery series' that I can read. Too bad this one was disappointing. There seem to be so few such series' coming out these day, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't take my word for it! Give her books a try. You may really like them. And you can't beat the price!
      I am enjoying the Gray Whale Inn cozy mystery series - http://www.karenmacinerney.com/graywhale.html

      Light, nice Maine setting, great recipes.

      Delete
  2. Okay, you convinced me. I will get through all 650 books on my "to be read" list on Shelfari before going back to other centuries for murder mysteries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that's too bad that this one wasn't quite what you were expecting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... verbosity and speeches and dialogues too long are not my cup of tea, either. Other books sometimes can be almost a bit too fast-paced for my liking, especially when I really like the setting and the characters and would appreciate some more detail, but to overdo it in the other direction doesn't make for pleasant reading, either. I suppose it is not easy for an author to find the right balance there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that's too bad. I'd like to read her one day to see what I think, but I'm afraid I might agree with you and not be terribly impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, even though I said I'm done, I still might try another one someday. She wrote a lot. That Affair Next Door really is good.

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.