Friday, August 31, 2012

Book Beginnings on Fridays - Lost Man's Lane


Ever since my fortunate - or shall I say unfortunate? - connection with that famous case of murder in Gramercy Park, I have had it intimated to me by many of my friends - and by some who were not my friends - that no woman who had met with such success as myself in detective work would ever be satisfied with a single display of her powers, and that sooner or later I would find myself again at work upon some other case of striking peculiarities.

Lost Man's Lane, A Second Episode in the Life of Amelia Butterworth by Anna Katharine Green

You may read more Book Beginnings at Rose City Reader.

14 comments:

  1. I like the sound of this one! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I greatly enjoyed Amelia's first adventure. She is quite a character.

      Delete
  2. Is this a cozy mystery? After reading the opening you posted, I'm definitely curious about this book and want to know more about "some other case of striking peculiarities."
    My beginning is from THE ROOTS OF THE OLIVE TREE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote a little bit about the first book:

      http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/2012/07/book-notes-on-four-july-books-and-year.html

      Yes, it is a cozy. An old-fashioned delightful and interesting mystery.

      Delete
  3. Amelia Butterworth - what a name. Maybe I'll check out her first adventure.

    Here's my Book Beginning Post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She actually changed her name to Amelia because she thought her real name, Araminta was too old-fashioned. These are very fun books.

      Delete
  4. Great start to the novel, it sounds intriguing and I like the narrative =)

    Thanks for dropping by my blog earlier =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing!!!

    Here's my Book Beginning:
    http://thereadingkorner.blogspot.com/2012/08/a-sneak-like-beginning-book-beginnings.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I do. And she reminds me of a later Amelia - Amelia Peabody in the Elizabeth Peters series.

      Delete
  7. I am not familiar with these, so now I have to go investigate.

    Thanks for posting to BBOF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be writing more about this book and the author very soon.

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.