Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Rosie's Award-Winning Brownies

So often when I make brownies, they are for someone else, and most of those someone-elses do not like nuts in their brownies. Last evening I decided to make some for just Tom and I, with nuts, because we decidedly love them this way. I turned to an old favorite cookbook by Judy Rosenberg.

If you live in the Boston area, you may visit one of the bakeries, and if you don't the products may be bought online.

Rosie's Award-Winning Brownies

Preheat oven to 350º.
Grease an 8x8 pan with cooking spray.

Over low heat, melt 1 1/2 sticks of butter with 3 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate. Note: I didn't have any unsweetened so used semi-sweet, and of course the brownies tasted great - also I used the whole 4 ounce package.

In the mixer, beat together the butter/chocolate mixture with 1 1/2 cups sugar.
Add 3/4 teaspoon vanilla.
Add 3 eggs and beat well.
At a lower speed, add 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour.
Add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts.

Spread batter into the pan, and top with 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a thin crust forms on top and a tester inserted in the center comes out with a moist crumb.
Let cool an hour before cutting.
Serve the next day (it takes a day for the flavor to set) and don't forget the tall glass of milk.

Obviously, I had one last night, but they really and truly do taste even better this morning. Brownies for breakfast? Why not?! These are some of the best brownies ever.

16 comments:

  1. An absolute gorgeous header photo. Brownies are my favorite. Yummmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You scared me there for a second. I thought you could actually wait a whole day to have one?? Horrors! Glad to know you are as vulnerable to a pan of warm brownies as I am. Not that they aren't delicious the next day. And always with "cold white milk," as my father says.

    Isn't it a treat to just make brownies for yourself and the one (or three) you love?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a woman after my own heart - brownies for breakfast! Why not indeed. I copied the recipe as we like nuts in our brownies too. I haven't heard of this cookbook. Hopefully you will share more recipes from it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Lisa. I wanted to reflect the change. We had mostly red leaves for a while, and now they are more this muted orange-yellow color.

    June, ha! don't be scared. Actually I'm quite amazed I had only one at ten o'clock last night. :<)

    Margot, I will! It's a terrific book, and I love the title. I hope you like the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look great! It's funny to see this now because I was at the farmer's market last week and I saw a recipe from black bean brownies and I said that I wanted to try them out because they are gluten free and my mom can't eat a lot of wheat. I hop that they are good because it would be nice to find a snack that she could enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brownies make the best breakfast! I will definitely try this recipe - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Siiiiighhhh... I can't have them anymore but I can dream.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicole, I can't imagine black bean brownies! Has she checked out any sites for those who can't eat gluten? At my local store there is a whole section of homemade goodies that are gluten free.

    You will love them, I'm quite sure, JoAnn.

    Oh, Kay, is it because of the sugar? Diabetes? If so, I've heard that diabetics can eat honey. If that is the case with you, I can email you some recipes with honey instead of sugar. For years and years I never used sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bluestocking, you are so welcome! If I were closer, I'd bring you some of these brownies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM! I may just have to have a taste-test with all of your brownie recipes. Rod would love that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just copied the recipe. Will make them tomorrow. If I had the ingredients I would make them right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think they're lovely with coffee. Also like nuts in 'em--pecans are my favorite.

    I was astonished to learn that some people don't like the corners! Martha Stewart suggests removing the corners because people don't like them. I like that part best because they're chewier.

    I wish I had me one right now. Hmmm...I do have some cocoa in there somewhere...maybe there's enough butter. Oh, no--not enough! Well, I'll buy supplies tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, he would, Les!

    One Woman, and Mary Lois, they are just great! Hope you like them too.

    Interesting about the corners, Mary Lois.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember I couldn't wait to grow up so I could have chocolate cake for breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Susan, I hope you aren't making your children wait! :<)

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.