Friday, April 27, 2007

Bulgur and Vermicelli Pilaf

When people are very hungry, or if I don't have much time, this Armenian dish is what I make for supper. It comes from a 1976 cookbook I've had for ages.



In a big saucepan, sauté on low/medium heat, 1/3 cup vermicelli in olive oil or a butter/oil combination until lightly browned.



Add 2 cups hot water, and bring to a boil.
Turn down heat to simmer, and add 1 cup bulgur.
When water is absorbed, it is done.

In the meantime, sauté in olive oil any vegetables you like. We have used chopped onions, frozen green peppers, and frozen zucchini. You don't have to thaw them first. I sauté the onions a little, and then add the frozen ones.



When serving, I add freshly chopped chives. Salt and pepper to taste.
The portions may be changed according to how many are eating.

3 comments:

  1. Nan, That looks yummy. Is bulgur something you can buy at a local grocery store? I have to buy it at a specialty/health food store about 30 miles from home, so it isn't something I've purchased very often. I might have to do so soon, to try this out. I need something easy for those nights when I don't feel up to cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I have bought it at our local supermarket. It is in the health food/cereal section. It is one of my most favorite foods. I am quite sure you would love this, dear Aisling.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.