Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Top Ten Tuesday - Nine Favorite Books of 2022

 I have done a couple (though maybe just one) of the Top Ten Tuesday posts. I do enjoy them and mean to do more this year. I didn't happen to visit her blog today, but I did get to read an entry here, and decided to do my own. I haven't done anything with my year end wrap-up of 2022, and I think this is all I will do!

I didn't have ten, but nine. I reread many books this year, and though they are good old mysteries, they can't compete with the books below which were really excellent. Five fiction and four nonfiction.

I Still Dream About You by Fannie Flagg. I've not read a book by her that I haven't loved. This one was really very special.

4.50 From Paddington by Agatha Christie. One of my top favorite writers. This was a second reading.

The Tender Bar by J.R. Moehringer. This became one of my favorite books ever. I've never read anything like it, and was wowed. 

French Braid by Anne Tyler. Some think this is her last book and if so, it is a lovely way to end a career of many wonderful books.

The Adventurous Chef:Alexis Soyer by Ann Arnold. This is a children's picture book about someone I had never heard of until the television series Pie in the Sky. Inspector/Chef Crabbe idolizes Soyer. We learn a bit about him in one particular episode, and I wanted to know more. He was quite a fellow, and this book is well-worth reading.

The Arrivals by Meg Mitchell Moore. This was a reread, and I loved it just as much as the first time. I wrote about it here. I didn't have grandchildren in 2011, and the book had a whole new meaning and richness that I understood this time. It really is a wonderful book.

Trains and Lovers by Alexander McCall Smith. This is a standalone book, and I really enjoyed it. Four strangers on a train telling about their lives.

Doctor Turner's Casebook by Stephen McGann. The author plays Dr. Turner in Call the Midwife. The book is mostly nonfiction, with delightful bits of the fictional doctor's casebook complete with teacup stains and imperfect typewriter letters (remember them?). I learned so much about medicine and diseases from that time, and saw how very accurate the program is. 

And the star of stars, also going onto my list of favorite books ever is:

Cross of Snow
A Life of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
by Nicholas Basbanes

My Letters from a Hill Farm blog is full of Longfellow's poems. I've loved him since childhood, and now my love and respect is much deeper. I so enjoyed my time within the pages. It is a perfect, perfect biography, and history of America and the world during his lifetime. A marvel, a masterpiece. Nothing better.

24 comments:

  1. Ooooh, lots for me to look into there! I like the sound of Trains and Lovers, I didn't know McCall Smith had written any standalone books. The 4.50 from Paddington has become one of my all-time favourite Agatha Christies and I 'love' the Joan Hickson version on TV. The woman who played Lucy was spot-on. I'll return to your former post and reply to your comment there this afternoon, lunch calls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has written quite a few! That man is six months younger than me, and I am utterly amazed at how much he does!
      I haven't watched any JH Miss Marple in ages and ages. Maybe I'll watch this one since you like it so much.

      Delete
  2. I just popped over to your review of The Arrivals and then added it to my Goodreads list. I will most certainly will read this in 2023, hopefully next month. Starting the last Jane Harper book today called Survivors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love that book so much. And there really is a lot to be said for rereading books at different times of one's life.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I want to read that biography of Longfellow! Thanks very much for sharing that with us! I suspect he would have loved your header photo of the turkeys just as I do. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have 19 who visit. They are really quite tame. I think they know they are safe as long as they are in this yard..
      Oh, and I love it, that you like Longfellow. The book is a great one.

      Delete
  4. I'm really enjoying reading these 'favorites' list that many are posting. I've done that in the past, but won't do it for 2022. From your list, I've read 4:50 FROM PADDINGTON many times (love it) and I've also read THE ARRIVALS. That was a long time back. Perhaps I should try it again. I bet my library has it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has become quite a popular and well-known author since this book. I mean to read more by her. And oh, Agatha! Never lets me down.

      Delete
  5. The Arrivals sounds like such a great read. I also noted that Diane (Bibliophile by the Sea) listed the author's latest book, Vacationland, as one of her 2022 favorites. I haven't read Meg Mitchell Moore yet, so will definitely try one this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has been writing successfully for a long time. I mean to read more.

      Delete
  6. I'll have to look for that McCall Smith book. I too read French Braid and probably in the past read the Agatha Christie book. The last author is my go to when I can't find anything else to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read I Still Dream About You, but I've enjoyed Fannie Flagg's novels over the years. They're the type of book that you can really settle into, and feel a part of the community.

    I haven't read The Tender Bar, but my mom and I watched the movie and thought it was wonderful. The young actor who plays JR is excellent.

    I have a copy of French Braid in my stacks for 2023, so we'll see how I like it. I've enjoyed some of her novels, but there have been a few that just didn't work for me. :(

    Ah, The Arrivals. I read it based on Marcia's review, too. I loved that novel and have always thought about reading it again. Hard to believe it's been over a decade since I read it. My review is here. I can still envision some of the scenes. Thanks for the reminder, Nan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite, quite sure you would love the FF. I like the way you described her work.
      I don't think I can watch the movie, though I did put it in my queue. Margaret watched and said it was different but she liked it.
      I am the same way with AT. I have loved some books completely and others I did not.
      I really must try some more of MMM's books.

      Delete
  8. What an interesting variety of books in your list. I will be reading 4.50 From Paddington this year. I want to read at least one by Anne Tyler because I bought three or four of her books at the book sale last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I didn't realize it until jotting them down! I think you will love the Christie. And I will be interested in which AT your read, and what you think of it.

      Delete
    2. Nan, the Anne Tyler books I got at the book sale were: The Patchwork Planet, A Spool of Blue Thread, Clock Dance, and Redhead at the End of the Road. Did you like any of those? It seems like those are more recent books.

      Delete
    3. Oh, thank you for writing back!! I haven't read PP or CD, but I loved both the others to pieces!

      Delete
  9. Well, just after I said in my reply to your comment that it's been a while since you last posted, I saw this new post of yours - no idea why I was not notified by blogger; I usually see new posts in my reading list or get a message. Anyway, now I found it and say thank you for great recommendations!
    I know what you mean in the paragraph about The Arrivals, how a book acquires new meaning as our experiences change and we grow. Re-reading my childhood and youth favourites has done that for me repeatedly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I am actually reading one of my earliest childhood books, day by day this year. Delightful!

      Delete
  10. Hooray for Anne Tyler and Fannie Flagg! Also I have read a few books about books by Nicolas Basbanes and he's a fine writer so I'm sure he did his topic justice. Happy reading for 2023!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quick thank you for this list and the one below -- a few new to me suggestions and some wonderful reminders of favorite books/authors and possible re-reads. (Fannie Flagg and Anne Tyler can do no wrong.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you have an awful lot going on. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  12. I knew to get my notebook and pen when I saw this post, jotted down some on library list but I must buy the Longfellow biography, admire him so much. I'm sure I read the Christie mystery years ago but time to read it again and my sister has every book she ever wrote so I'll borrow it from her. She collected Christie and I collected Sayers! I was surprised by how much I enjoyed watching The Tender Bar so must read the book. The Chef book sounds good too, I loved Pie in the Sky! And I adore McCall Smith's Isabel Dalhousie series. While I've enjoyed a few Anne Tyler books, I had to force myself to keep reading French Braid, which is strange as I usually love every book you do.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.