Sunday, January 1, 2023

Quote du jour/Charles H. Spurgeon

 "Begin as you mean to go on, and go on as you began..."
Charles Spurgeon

I have often read these words in British books, or heard them on British television. And they have been spinning in my head as this new year arrived.

The past years have been pretty blogless for me. I haven't writtten much or read much. It's been an odd time, and I am going to begin on this day and go on. I miss writing. It is good for me. It takes me completely into what I am thinking about, rather like a meditation. But even more, I miss reading. I miss all the different voices of fellow bloggers. I miss reading about your lives, and gardens, and books. A blogging friend's father died and I didn't know for too long. That made me so sad, and pretty much brought about this new resolve. 

I am going to give myself the gift of sitting down each day in the study and either reading or writing or both. I love this room with its south and west windows, a computer desk, a writing desk for letters (which I am also working on doing more often) and paying bills (yes, I still pay as many as I can by check, which isn't a lot these days and I still check my checking account!). And the rest of the room is photographs, plants, books, and Tom's mother's dolls. It has two doors, so I can be quiet when I'm in here.

So, what brilliant topic will I write about on this first day of the year?  I thought I would tell you how much I love paper calendars. I have two. The one in the study, just to my left as I write this, is by a New Hampshire woman. 



 Cindy Hendrick does the most delightful drawings, and has created a whole little world of animals. Her website is here

The second calendar is in the kitchen. Susan Branch is probably very familiar to most of you. I've had her calendars for many years, and also have her address book and birthday book. I love her work, and all the wonderful quotes she has introduced to me. Actually, her newest book is one of quotes. I don't own it yet, but will before long.



I love this quote:


So, there you have it. A little blog entry to welcome in this new year, and as Mr. Lennon said, "Let's hope it's a good one, without any fear." That kind of says it all, doesn't it.

I don't write on either of these beauties. I have a desk engagement calendar I use for jotting down days we take care of the grandchildren, etc. And speaking of grandchildren, this is the 2022 Christmas card!


Campbell Walker, 8
Hazel Nina, 9
Indy Thomas, 7

18 comments:

  1. Nan, I love this blog post! Love it! And I love your new header picture! Yes, I think that giving yourself the 'gift' of reading and writing and whatever is a good thing. I plan to join you in doing more of both. Happy New Year!!! Much love sent your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too haven't been writing nearly as much as I did. Another deadline for a tanka journal I get just passed last night and I submitted nothing. Sometimes I think I'm playing on my phone too much - oh dear!
    Reading continues to be something I still do a lot of - so many fine books out there!
    Every year I order a Farmer's Almanac Gardening calendar for my kitchen wall. Love it and I do write on it. I really like your calendar with the deer - beautiful!
    Glad to hear you may be writing (posting ?)more - that will be a pleasure to look forward to this new year.
    Mary
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My desk calendar is from Farmer' Almanac called the planner! I looked up tanka. Had never heard of it. Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  3. I had thought about letting my blog go dormant because I wasn't having fun. So I took a break and now I like writing more. It connects me with like minded people and I get a slice of life from other parts of the world, looking in on others lives as they feel fit to share.

    Happy new year to you and I hoope you will continue as long as you are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year! I too like calendars, and the animal one reminds me of the Brambly Hedge calendar that I had last year. They're quite nostalgic, as they remind me of the illustrations in children's books when I was young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It is like Brambley Hedge! And nostalgic. Also, I like thinking of animals living little lives that we know nothing about. :<)

      Delete
  5. What a gorgeous post, Nan. I think I can say that we've missed you as much as you've missed blogging. It would be lovely to have you around a little more. I have two books that belong to you (one about Rudyard Kipling and The View From Mary's Farm by Edie Clark) that I hadn't got around to reading. But here's the odd thing. I'm about to start a new 'Book Girls' challenge which is to read around the USA. And first up it's a block of states which includes NH, so guess what I'll be reading? I think you said to me once that every book has its time to be read and I think this is their time. Happy New Year, Nan. Oh, and I love calendars too. Someone sent me a bookish one this year... oh my word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the wonderful comment, Cath. It is belongED. They are yours now! I don't know if we have talked about Edie Clark for a few years. I had read an article and knew she wasn't well. I have wondered about her but can't find anything newer than that article. In case I never sent it to you - https://newengland.com/yankee-magazine/living/new-england-environment/leaving-marys-farm/
      I still believe that about a book having "its time to be read". I never think a book is neglected or forgotten on a shelf. I know I'll read it when the time is right. For example, a friend gave me A Man Called Ove years ago, and it has sat around because I thought I wouldn't like it. I picked it up a few days ago, after being reminded of it by a new movie version with Tom Hanks, A Man Called Otto. I am liking it - surprise, surprise. I'm going to look into the book challenge you mention. The Kipling book is in Vermont. https://authoradventures.org/trails/search-states-s-z/vermont/rudyard-kipling-in-vermont/
      And this is pretty interesting - https://newenglandhistoricalsociety.com/feud-drove-rudyard-kipling-vermont/
      And the house now - https://landmarktrustusa.org/rudyard-kiplings-naulakha
      There! Those articles will keep you busy for a bit. haha
      I'd like to know more about your "bookish calendar" and Happy New Year to you!

      Delete
    2. That is so kind of you to say I can hang on to the two books, Nan. I'm happy to post them back to you so please say if you change your mind. And thank you for all the links, I have a quiet weekend coming up so will indulge myself with them then. The bookish calendar is by 'Tushika calendars'. It appears to be German but the lovely friend who gifted it to me for Christmas is not. She's pretty much housebound so I'm thinking she probably found it on Amazon. It has photos of libraries and bookshops and has a picture of Radcliffe Camera in Oxford on the front, reminding me of course of Morse and Lewis. Happy New Year to you too, dear Nan.

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year! I like the image of you sitting cozily in your study, perhaps with a hot drink (I have a little electric warmer to keep my tea hot, both at work and at home), and writing away. But don't forget the photographs! I love the glimpses of your farm. I am also a Susan Branch fan but have not yet bought any 2023 calendars. Last year, I made calendars for my mother and me of our trip to France, and that was a great way to relive our fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful thing to do! I've envied that trip. Such a lovely thing for both of you.
      And don't worry, there will be pictures.

      Delete
  7. Oh, I am so happy to read this post! You have been greatly missed over the past year or two. I know you've posted here and there, but I've missed your chatty stories about life on a "hill farm."

    I don't write very many checks, but I still use a checkbook register and check my account each month. And, I can't imagine a year that you wouldn't have a Susan Branch calendar. I'll bet you've been using one of hers for at least 25 years. :)

    Here's to renewed connections! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for those kind words. I have felt a lonesomeness, a disconnectedness not being more involved. I need this in my life.
      I just gave Margaret her first SB calendar this year. She remembers them from here. She is a faithful calendar user.

      Delete
  8. That card is priceless!! I can't believe how grown-up Hazel already looks there. She's really 9 years old, is she!
    I, too, love paper calendars. For my appointments and notes, I use a book-sized one with one page for each week. Then I always have a wall calendar printed with my own photos as a Christmas gift for friends and family, as well as for myself. And for Christmas, this year I got a great wall calendar with one sheet per week about what is visible in the night sky at the time - love it! Also, a monthly wall calendar with history about my home town, great reading about things I didn't know yet about my town (or not in such detail).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the home town history calendar. What a good idea for someone to put together! And the night sky one! Like taking a little course in both just by looking at the calendar!

      Delete
  9. This post really connected with me, Nan. Sounds similar to things I've experienced lately, circumstances that have shoved writing and blogging to the back burner. And then I begin to realize what I'm depriving myself of and determine to make time for it.

    Your grandchildren are darling!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.