Thursday, September 2, 2021

The Whitstable Pearl Series by Julie Wassmer

The past few months have been a strain at Windy Poplars Farm. 

Tom's 93-year-old mother has had increasing signs of dementia, and is currently in a hospital where they are evaluating what is going on. From there we are expecting a move to a mental care facility and we hope it will be a place that is five minutes away from us. There have been a few times when his mother has expressed interest in moving up here - to independent living, and later to assisted living -  but every time it didn't work out. 

Our son Michael and his wife, Estée have separated. It has mostly been harmonious, but it is still one of those big changes that are very stressful and worrisome. They are now both settled into rental houses in the same town. They are, without any court intervention, sharing custody of Campbell and Indy. The kids seem to be doing alright, even well. Maybe at six and seven they are able to grasp that their parents are happier apart; better friends and parents not living together. As you may guess we, and Margaret have been very involved in this whole process. The kids have been up here a lot, which is good for all of us. I have a blog post planned with summer fun pictures.

With two big emotional situations in our lives, there haven't been many minutes to read during the day, and in the evening I just want to settle into one of the wonderful television shows available or an old, much-loved DVD. So almost all my reading has been bedtime, or early morning reading in bed, which means the Kindle. 

A few months ago, Acorn TV offered a new detective series called Whitstable Pearl. I enjoyed it, and naturally bought the first book in the series. As is so often true, the books are very different and offer a much more in-depth story and character development than television. This is not to say that the book is always better. I could barely read the Inspector Morse books, but I adore the television production and actually think it is much better! 

I expect I am not alone in being a foreigner who did not know that Whitstable is a real town. Look to the right - on the coast, and almost even with London on the map.

You can see loads of photographs here. It really sounds beautiful, though Julie Wassmer, the author of the books makes it clear that there are the usual problems with vacation destinations. The DFL, Down From Londoners, buy up property and use it occasionally, while the rest of the time they rent it out. These rents are mostly too high for the locals, and young people can't afford to live in the town they grew up in. Whitstable seems to have been able to avoid one of the downfalls of popularity and that is that their stores are less national names than local, independently owned. The author does an excellent job of portraying the landscape, the businesses, the public lands. 

I had the supreme reader's joy of reading the eight available books in the series, one right after the other. I so love finding a new-to-me author and doing this. The main character is Pearl who owns a restaurant called Whitstable Pearl which offers local seafood. She is a single mother whose son is now going to college in nearby Canterbury. This city is also described beautifully. Pearl's mother is a widow, quite alternative in her thinking (a bit like this reader), and very flamboyant in her choice of clothes and haircolors (not a bit like me there!). There are other characters who appear in many of the books, and then new ones who are introduced in each new murder case.

When Pearl was young she began going to school to become a police officer. She became pregnant with the love of her life (who by then had moved away), and had to leave. She isn't the kind to look back with regret. She has made a wonderful life for herself and her son. After her son leaves for college, she starts her own detective agency. She has a real gift for the work. She is one of those rare characters - a woman who is contented, self-assured, and quite genuinely happy.

I love this series and look forward to next year's offering.

25 comments:

  1. Nan, I'm so happy that you told us about this TV series and also the books. And I'm very pleased that they have meant comfort for you. You know that I love you dearly and am keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers. Take care, dear friend! And I think we'll try the TV series. We've been looking for something new to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the book series gave you some respite from what's happening in the family. It will all work out, but the getting there can be tough. Wishing everyone the best.
    I read the first book, but don't think I'll read any more. For some reason, and I really am not sure why, Pearl irritates me. I keep wondering how that restaurant runs itself when her attention is seldom there. Also, her mom does so much for her and yet I don't feel gratitude or affection for her mom. Just my sense of the book - plus the new,handsome detective just seems too much part of a formula. I know this sounds harsh, and I'm in the minority, but it just didn't move me. Place description was enjoyable. Characters - not so much so.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just so interesting how readers can have different takes on and reactions to books! Thank goodness, really. There are very popular books that, if they were the only books in the world I would not be a reader! haha

      Delete
  3. Oh Nan, I'm sorry life has thrown your family some curve balls but I'm sure everyone will weather the gentle storms. I hope Tom's mom can find a place near you as well, that will be easier for all. Also, kids are resilient, my two were just 5 and 7 when I became a single parent. As long as they know they are loved and cared for by many, they will be fine. I'm glad you guys are fairly close by as a support system means a lot as well. I'm glad you found a new crime series to distract you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It means a lot to me that you told me about your own kids.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about the worries that have been dogging your family of late. Glad you can find respite in your reading and series watching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have just sent me to my bookshelves where I found my copy of The Whitstable Pearl, so
    it's good to know that there are 8 available books in the series.

    Characters in some books and/or television series can often feel like real life friends - very comforting. (I like Miss Read books when times are sad and difficult.)



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree about the Miss Read books- comforting,funny, and dear. Maybe I should do some more re-reading. Barbara Pym's books are lovely, too. Very witty in a subtle way - excellent writing.

      Mary

      Delete
    2. Sue, I'll be interested to know what you think. And yes, they can. I almost picked up a Miss Read the other day, but decided to wait till I finish the other print books I've started.
      Mary, That's how I feel about her books, too. And I have loved the Pym books I've read. Have you ever read Gladys Taber - she has both nonfiction and fiction. More here: https://friendsofgladystaber.org/friends-of-gladys-taber-1

      Delete
    3. Yes, I've read all the -fiction Gladys Taber books - my mom was a big fan and I kept several of her books. Will have to look into her fiction.

      Delete
  6. I am so sorry to hear of your family problems; very upsetting for everyone.

    I've never heard of these Pearl books or the TV series. Whitstable is famous for its oysters. You couldn't pay me to eat one; in fact I can't eat any seafood, so perhaps these books are not for me!
    Have you read any of T E Kinsey's Lady Hardcastle mysteries? Light, 'cozy' as you say, and also funny. I recommend them for difficult times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read them!! So, when Acorn TV presents something over here, I thought the shows were on over there as well.
      I don't eat seafood either. Not much about it in the show.

      Delete
  7. Oh dear, there's never a good time for such changes, but a strong, loving support system of family makes all the difference to the old and the young. My girls were 8 and 10 when I became their stepmom, and they were sometimes a little flummoxed by the various relationship changes in their dad's extended family. We all assured them it meant "More people who love you!" and they grew up just fine.

    Streaming out good thoughts to all concerned and I'm happy you have books and movies to enjoy as needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words, and the story about your girls.

      Delete
  8. So sorry to learn of the turmoil in your life at the moment, Nan. I know from experience on both counts how painful that can be, but time has its way of healing the various stages of life's pains that we experience. Everything is constantly changing around us, ready or not we may be. Wishing you well.

    I watched the Acorn series and found it pretty good, especially the last couple of episodes, but the shows weren't good enough to make me search out the books. I appreciate the push because they really sound great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,Sam.
      I got a bit confused with the show. It just didn't always seem clear to me, and the books were very clear. I get that they can't cover everything in a TV adaptation. That said, I'll prob watch a second series. Such a beautiful place.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for recommending the Whitstable Pearl series. It sounds like something I would enjoy, and I shall have a look at the kindle shop for sure.
    It always saddens me when a couple split up, but sometimes it turns out to be the best course of action. Speaking from my own experience, divorcing my first husband made my life so much better - without it, I would not have met and married my second husband. Now with O.K., his wife left him about 10 years before we met; without her falling in love with another man, I would never have met O.K.! In our cases, there were no children or anything of much value involved.
    It speaks very much for your son and his wife that they manage to keep things largely amicable, and spare the children the suffering other kids with parents in the process of separation go through. Ultimately, it also speaks for you, because you have raised your son to become a decent man.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The series is new to me and sounds so good. Not on Netgalley so I will have to look elsewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Inspector Morse TV series was a favorite. I dug out the paperback books a few weeks back [doing a lot of re-reading] but found with the first one, that as you mention, the books weren't as compelling as the TV drama. Not sure I'll continue going through them.
    Divorce can be so traumatizing; our son's daughter, now in her late 20's, had always been a Daddy's Girl--and after the divorce her mother did everything imaginable to keep her from her Dad. Thankfully, once she had her own phone she could talk with him several times per day and that still continues. So much better when parents can keep the stability of the children foremost even as they sort their separation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble after the divorce. I hope they now live close enough to get together.

      Delete
  12. First off, thank you for new books to read as I am quite interested in bith you posted. I love police procedurals and have enjoyed all the Inspector Banks books. Now I am loving Jenny O'Brien's series about a female officer, all set in Wales. Lovely scenery. I also look on maps to see if a place is real.
    The Sheperd's Life is one I will look for. Have you read the Yorkshire Shepheress books? I have those as well.

    I'm glad the divorce situation is friendly. My son and his wife are divorced and his daughter asks about her mother now and then. She doesn't truy understand it. Tristan has full custody of his daughter and she is better off.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.