Saturday, August 28, 2021

A wonderful dog tale

Yesterday afternoon we were standing around the kitchen - Tom, Margaret, Hazel, Campbell, Indy, and I - when a police car drove up. This has happened a few times in our 40 years in this house. My heart always goes into my throat fearing for my kids. This time I wasn't concerned because Michael is in another town, and Margaret was right here! But I still needed to go out and see what was going on. The man asked, "Do you have a Pug?" I told him no, but my daughter does, and then I asked if she were dead. He said, "No, he's (he didn't know the gender) in the car!" Margaret was out the door by then, and we walked over and got the whole story. 

Seems a couple of out-of-staters were driving past our road and saw Piglet walking kind of in circles at the bottom of our dirt road which spills onto a busy, tarred state road. They stopped and picked her up and brought her to the police station. The police then drove over here. We were all so very grateful, and amazed. We talked for a long time about the wonder of this. How kind the people were to take the time to bring her to the police, and for the police to bring her back home. There were two of them, a man and a woman with the biggest smiles, probably in their twenties. Just the kindest, dearest police you've ever seen. I wish they could make the national news!

Margaret checked the town page on Facebook and the police had posted a picture of Piggie - (and here comes a bad pun) a "Pug shot", telling the story of where she was found and to get in touch with the police.

This is not the first time Miss Piggie has gotten into trouble. Another day a fellow drove into Margaret's yard, having picked up her up also at the bottom of our road. Again, such kindness.

And here's the thing. Piglet is not young. In fact she turned 14 this year! She can't see or hear very well, but she sure gets around. Here is a picture of her when she was a wee one. Less than a month after Margaret and Matthew got together they brought home this adorable Pug. I've often told people that you know it is true love when a couple gets a dog. 

And this is her a couple years ago. You'll notice the chair does not say her name.

24 comments:

  1. Wonderful story Nan. There are some kind-hearted animal lovers and fortunate that she didn't wander to a more heavily traveled road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is wonderful! We marvelled and talked about it for ages!

      Delete
  2. Very glad it came out as happily as it did. Hopefully she'll stay safely at home in the future. People are kind hearted to have taken the time to help her.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a character who is tough to corral sometimes. I've often said to Margaret that the only thing that saves her is being small. Haha

      Delete
  3. A happy ending to your story. So good to read.
    Is that a hollyhock in the header now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story makes me happy, Pug returned home after a little adventure, kind police officers and good people who rescued her. If TV news would carry more stories like these there would be less anxiety in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really believe what you said. Years ago we had an older friend in a little, safe town who was afraid to go out at night because of horror stories she had heard on the news.

      Delete
  5. Such a great story during these trying times. I'm glad Miss Piggie is home safe & sound. Maybe Hazel could write a story about her dog's adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a lovely story! I am sure the police officers loved doing that - it must be so much nicer to return a beloved pet to its owners than dealing with crime and other unpleasant or dangerous things all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you are right. They must love a job like that!

      Delete
  7. Thank goodness! I am sure the police were happy to reunite Miss Piggie with her family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Piglet is sooo cute and what a heartwarming story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This made my day. The kindness of strangers is a beautiful thing. I need to keep reminding myself of that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful story... so relieved at the happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this 'happy ending' story! That little Piggie - so glad she's still around! And I second Les's suggestion about Hazel telling the story of Miss Piggie's rescue. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is really quite a dog. No one like her. The only one close is a dog we had called Oreo - part Beagle and part English Springer Spaniel. We could hear that boy howling in the woods at night and in the morning he would be sitting by the door.

      Delete
  12. What an absolutely lovely story - thank you so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.