Saturday, August 14, 2021

Blueberry Report - 2021 (and a bit about flour)

I'm always pleased when I see our neighbor's name on my caller ID because it means blueberry season has begun! This year the first call was July 29. The last of the berries was on August 12. This year we bought 26 quarts. 

This is more than last year's 17, and equal to 2018's number. The man asked about the numbers because his wife likes to keep track, so I gave him the list I posted here on last year's blueberry report. 

What you may see to the left (and under) the berries is my bread flour.  A fourth-generation farmer just across the state line has begun growing wheat and other grains. The farm he grew up on was a dairy farm. Dairy, as you may know, has declined greatly in the country so they sold up, and he now has a grain farm. You may read an article about it here. I buy 50 pounds of whole wheat flour,  

move it to freezer bags, and freeze it. I take out a couple bags at a time so I always have some available. I make bread twice a week. The fridge freezer has local strawberries, and some blueberries from another local source. Today I am heading to the Co-op to get lots of local sweet peppers to freeze. Ah, August!

12 comments:

  1. We've been lucky to buy local blueberries this summer but certainly not in the volume you do. Thant Nan is quite harvest you should be all set for a year I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try and pay attention to how long they last. We have blueberries and yogurt every morning.

      Delete
  2. You'll not be wanting for blueberries this year! Our wild blackberries are unusually late this year, but I'll be going out to pick some in the next week or so - I picked my first lot on Aug 1st last year. You can still buy flour ground in a windmill near here, though in recent years it's become very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blackberries are just coming here. The woods up the hill are full of them, and I must get picking.
      Windmill! I love that.

      Delete
  3. That will last you a while! Plus strawberries, and peppers - a rich bounty!
    Flour in the freezer? I have never heard that, but I am sure it helps with keeping it fresh as if it had just come from the mill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and prevents bugs which will appear if left out too long. I figured with 50 pounds I should freeze it.

      Delete
  4. My wife has refrigerated her flour for years and years. We often buy in bulk, too, and the bug-problem is not something she takes lightly. It works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for her! People just don't think about those bugs!

      Delete
  5. Have you ever read They Loved to Laugh (one of my favorites)? The daily ritual of bread making is described so well but with a large family I suppose they had no choice. So much work, however!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not! I hadn't even heard of it. Thank you!!

      Delete
  6. Picking blueberries at our daughter and SILs is one of our summer traditions (and pretty much the only garden-related activity I ever do nowadays). They are so good. Their harvest was smaller this year because we had that terrible hot spell which was not good for them. That is so interesting that you buy local flour. I have never heard of anyone able to do that. ... Bill began baking break during Covid and continues to do so to my joy. But he is not as regular about it as you are, so I still have to keep some Killer Dave's in the Freezer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a real renaissance of younger people starting businesses and especially farm businesses around us, and just over the Vermont border. I am thrilled.
      Good for Bill!!!!!!! I do appreciate Dave's, but too many seeds for me and there is a malty flavor I don't care for.

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.