Friday, June 19, 2020

Vera Lynn's death

Not many 103-year-olds write a magazine article, but Vera  Lynn did! In the May issue of The Oldie, she had a two-page piece on the 75th anniversary of VE Day. She began it with wonderfully encouraging words to this 72-year-old. 
 I'll never forget the 50th-anniversary VE celebration at Hyde Park and Buckingham Palace in May 1995 - the last time I sang in public, aged just 78. I was a mere septuagenarian back then - still in my prime!
"Just 78" will keep my spirits up for a long time!!

During the Second World War, Vera Lynn kept spirits up both for the soldiers and the people at home.
Then, in September 1939, the month the war began, I recorded We'll Meet Again, which topped the hit parade. My life was never quite the same again. As soon as I heard the song, I sensed there was something special about it. It was perfect for the times - and it's still my favourite of all the songs I've sung. Everybody hoped they would see their sweetheart again when the war was over and the boys were back home. 
I bought an album from iTunes years ago called The Very Best of Vera Lynn. 49 songs, two hours and thirty-five minutes! I have listened to it quite a few times, and her heart is so much in the songs. I wrote here about it when it first came out.

This was put up by The Guardian on the day she died.



You may read her obituary here.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this, Nan.I read the links and listened to her singing that lovely song. Something very special there, indeed.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how she wrote she was 78 and still in her prime; what a good spirit. I am reading about the Blitz now (The Splendid and the Vile), what a time of nightmare and struggle for the British people. Vera Lynn gave people hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nan, I love this post!
    I am so thankful that I sent her a birthday card in March. I hope she got THOUSANDS! (But she got ONE from Georgia with a bluebird on the front of it!) They don't really have bluebirds in England, which I know she knew but I told her that since I was American, I was sending her one! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Her song meant so much to the Allied soldiers of WWII that she is now one for the history books, someone who will always be remembered for her contribution to society.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh I did not know about her, how wonderful! As we say at my church, may her memory be eternal! What a special woman and I was quite touched to understand the Queen's message better because of what you wrote, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOu are a "Youngin'" since I am 83! -smile- Born before WWII, so I remember her and her voice and songs. But did not know, she was still alive. And only died recently.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was not born until years after WW2, but her songs still move me - particularly 'We'll Meet Again' and 'White Cliffs of Dover' She also seemed such an incredibly grounded, nice, woman - and that was part of her charm; how could you not like Vera Lynn? We've been hearing a lot of her in the run up to the VE Day commemorations, and since. I enjoyed your tribute immensely. RIP Vera - and thank you.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.