Saturday, November 22, 2014

Vegetarian Cuban Sandwich

Two weeks in a row for Weekend Cooking. May I call this a roll?!


Have you seen the movie Chef? It’s a wonderful film about a guy who gives up being a chef in a restaurant and opens a food truck instead. It is a food lovers delight. Scene after scene of cooking. One of the featured items is the Cuban sandwich. I went online looking for a vegetarian alternative, and found this. We bought some great white crusty bread, and Tom proceeded to make his own variation. He chose to make an open-faced sandwich with what was available in the house.



Slice and butter the bread.
Cover with thinly sliced cheddar cheese. He’ll try Swiss cheese next time.
Sauté sliced medium onion, red or white, in olive oil.
Add to cheese.
Put on cookie sheet and low broil in oven until cheese melts.



That’s it. He ate a pickle with it, but next time will try cooking it. He would have added peppers to the sautéed onions if we’d had them. He isn’t that big a mushroom fan so didn’t use mushrooms. He also forgot the mustard but will add it in the future. He thought this was just delicious! 

I found a definition of a Cuban sandwich here. And please do rent the dvd of Chef if you can. You’ll love it! Here is the website.

12 comments:

  1. Yum, Nan. A movie to watch - and a delicious looking sandwich to make. Bookmarked to try soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan to post a review of Chef soon -- fun movie, I agree! I love a good Cuban sandwich; we've made it with Canadian bacon, which is really good. For a vegetarian version .... hum.... hard to say what to use if mushrooms are out. Would seasoned tofu or tempeh work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living in northern New England, I'd never heard of a Cuban sandwich before. :<) Tom thought this one really so fine!

      Delete
  3. When my daughter got married in Key West this spring a friend told me I had to have a Cuban while there. I did and I think I would like your version better. I haven't seen the movie but I remember reading about this happening in real life. Those food trucks are very popular in some areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great place to get married! Does she live there too? Let me know if you try it!

      Delete
  4. I saw the movie Chef in the theater, and even though I had had dinner before I went, I was so hungry afterward because of all the beautiful beautiful food-cooking scenes. The Cuban definitely had a starring role, and I've noticed them popping up everywhere since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really so appealing, wasn't it?! I love it that a movie can influence people this way. Another really, really great food film is Tortilla Soup. Seen it??

      Delete
    2. I haven't seen Tortilla Soup, but years ago, I checked out a CD of the film soundtrack from my library and really enjoyed it.

      Delete
  5. This sounds so very tasty. I am going to try it out here :)

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.