Saturday, December 14, 2013

Today's poem by Robert Frost

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.   
His house is in the village though;   
He will not see me stopping here   
To watch his woods fill up with snow.   

My little horse must think it queer   
To stop without a farmhouse near   
Between the woods and frozen lake   
The darkest evening of the year.   

He gives his harness bells a shake   
To ask if there is some mistake.   
The only other sound’s the sweep   
Of easy wind and downy flake.   

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.   
But I have promises to keep,   
And miles to go before I sleep,   
And miles to go before I sleep.

Robert Frost (1874-1963)
1922

This is such a familiar poem to most of us that I wonder if we can read it with fresh eyes. I was given the opportunity to do so - indeed to read it as a child might - when Tom's mother gave us this lovely book.



Inside she wrote, "I think this is so beautifully illustrated" and I agree.

The old man in this book has no thoughts of death whatsoever. He makes his trip into those woods to bring food and shelter to the grateful woodland birds and animals, and then goes home to his loving family.



This is a wonderful book to buy for a little one in your life, or to buy just for yourself. You will see the poem in a new and much more cheerful light. It was just the right book to read on this snowy evening.


13 comments:

  1. Love the book - beautiful.

    Stay safe in the weather - we are battening down the hatches as it heads our way tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll see. So often when they predict big storms, they turn out to be small. :<))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Nan.... one of my favourite poems. I discovered it in my teens and it stayed with me. Thank you for that, and Seasons Greetings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how much do I love that poem? I agree the picture book is pretty and re-interprets the poem. To be honest though, I don't want to see the poem through fresh eyes. I want to recapture every time I read it the feelings I had on the first reading: surprised delight, as if I'd known it always and was just waiting for it to come along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Robert Frost poems and how beautifully illustrated the book is.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. The illustration with the birds and critters watching the man depart is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely present, thank you so much for sharing it. I do so love that poem, good to be reminded of it.

    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think my great-grands need that book! They saw their first snow this year (at age 6 and 4). Beautiful illustrations for sure. I will look for it. (Whenever I buy books for children, I always pre-read them!) Thanks to you and your mil..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never thought of this poem as a downer. I love it. The book is fab too. I will get it for my great niece and nephew and maybe one for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i've always loved this poem. I used to recite it to my Kiddo all the time. And I suspect you wil be reading it to your little grandbaby soon (who I hope is still doing well).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this poem the first time I read it when I was about 12. Was astonished years later to learn that it's thought to be a poem about dying. "I have promises to keep/And miles to go before I sleep." How anybody can think that means dying, I've never known. Glad to see somebody agrees.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nan, I love this poem, have blogged about, and I love this book as I appreciate Susan Jeffers' artistic talent. She did a beautiful illustrated Silent Night. It was the first book we gave our daughters that became a tradition of giving them a special book each year. She has also done The Nutcracker and I have been exhibiting self control over The Twelve Days of Christmas. You are going to enjoy introducing Hazel and the next little one to books.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to thank each of you for your thoughtful comments!!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.