Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Today's poem by Edgar Guest

At Christmas

A man is at his finest towards the finish of the year;
He is almost what he should be when the Christmas season is here;
Then he’s thinking more of others than he’s thought the months before,
And the laughter of his children is a joy worth toiling for.
He is less a selfish creature than at any other time;
When the Christmas spirit rules him he comes close to the sublime.

When it’s Christmas man is bigger and is better in his part;
He is keener for the service that is prompted by the heart.
All the petty thoughts and narrow seem to vanish for awhile
And the true reward he’s seeking is the glory of a smile.
Then for others he is toiling and somehow it seems to me
That at Christmas he is almost what God wanted him to be.

If I had to paint a picture of a man I think I’d wait
Till he’d fought his selfish battles and had put aside his hate.
I’d not catch him at his labors when his thoughts are all of pelf, [money]
On the long days and the dreary when he’s striving for himself.
I’d not take him when he’s sneering, when he’s scornful or depressed,
But I’d look for him at Christmas when he’s shining at his best.

Man is ever in a struggle and he’s oft misunderstood;
There are days the worst that’s in him is the master of the good,
But at Christmas kindness rules him and he puts himself aside
And his petty hates are vanquished and his heart is opened wide.
Oh, I don’t know how to say it, but somehow it seems to me
That at Christmas man is almost what God sent him here to be.

Edgar Guest (1881-1959)

14 comments:

  1. Great poem. I wish we could keep that edge of being what we are meant to be all year. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year! I'm looking forward to reading more about your books and poetry and music...and your lovely expanding family in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas, Nan!
    This time next year, you will have babies in some Christmas photos!!! So happy for you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish people would extend Christmas spirit to more than one day.
    I love love your header pic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry belated Christmas and Happy New Year, Nan. I just noticed in your photo of Edgar Guest, he posed with a brindle Great Dane with lovely floppy ears. I love it when their ears aren't cropped. My two were fawn danes, also with floppy ears. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and same to you. I bet they were adorable. I'm with you. I hate any cropping.

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.