Friday, December 31, 2010

Mourn Not Your Dead by Deborah Crombie




77. Mourn Not Your Dead - fourth in the Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James series
by Deborah Crombie
mystery, 1996
Kindle book - 20
finished, 12/31/10






As I progress in the Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James series, it becomes harder to write about the books because there is change in the main characters. I really don't like to spoil anyone's reading adventure so I am purposely avoiding too much detail. What I will say is that this is one of the best mystery series I've ever read. The detectives and the cases are engaging and intriguing to the reader. There is no 'formula' such as we see sometimes in a mystery series. The books aren't cozies, but more police procedurals, truly my favorite kind of crime fiction.

In this one a London policeman is found murdered in his country home by his wife and stepdaughter. He is not a pleasant man, and there are many people who may have wanted him dead. The investigation goes back and forth from the village of Holmbury St. Mary to London, where both Kincaid and James live. The book involves the secrets and past lives of many people in the village. Though this horrible event has taken place, the book also offers warm and caring instances of support between friends. There really are some wonderful characters in the story. I didn't get a lot of sleep for a couple nights, since I couldn't put it down. An excellent book to end my 2010 reading year.

4 comments:

  1. I've got to read this series. I think I might have read the first book many years ago, but you have enjoyed it so much - it must be on my radar. And, available on the Kindle. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Nan! I have just pre-ordered one of Deborah Crombie's book from the online catalogue of my town's library. They only have one in English and all the others in German, so I may have to read a bit more German again, although I much prefer reading a book in its original language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kay, this was such a hard little book report to write because of the relationship between Duncan and Gemma. It is a strong part of every book. I know that you will like the series. You could buy the first one for the K. and I bet you'll want to go on and on. Exceptionally good writing.

    Staci, it is so great.

    Librarian, I didn't used to read translations but after the Mankell and Indridason, I've found they can be quite wonderful. And since I'll never know how they sounded in their original languages, they seem fine. :<)

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.