Monday, February 5, 2024

Today's poem by Roger McGough

Let Me Die A Youngman's Death

Let me die a youngman's death

not a clean and inbetween
the sheets holywater death
not a famous-last-words
peaceful out of breath death

When I'm 73
and in constant good tumour
may I be mown down at dawn
by a bright red sports car
on my way home
from an allnight party

Or when I'm 91
with silver hair
and sitting in a barber's chair
may rival gangsters
with hamfisted tommyguns burst in
and give me a short back and insides

Or when I'm 104
and banned from the Cavern
may my mistress
catching me in bed with her daughter
and fearing for her son
cut me up into little pieces
and throw away every piece but one

Let me die a youngman's death
not a free from sin tiptoe in
candle wax and waning death
not a curtains drawn by angels borne
'what a nice way to go' death

Roger McGough 
and I am happy to say that he is still alive!

I first put up a Roger McGough poem ten years ago. Here is my post from then. You'll see that it was in this very month! I love things like that. I am watching the same series ten years to the month from when I first watched it, and I am watching it on Acorn TV as I was then. 

Anyhow, I think this is quite a wonderful poem. In the show a young boy recited part of it. He says about Mcgough, "He's a Scouser [from Liverpool] but he writes good poems." The boy lives in the North East of England.

When I first read the title I thought it meant he wanted to die young, but no. His website is here, and so worth reading.

I can't seem to find any definition of his use of "tumour". I thought it must be a misprint but I've found it the same word on many poetry sites. Maybe someone who is from England could explain? 
Please read Michelle Ann's comment!

7 comments:

  1. It's a joke. Instead of 'in constant good humour' he uses the wordplay of 'tumour' instead to indicate that many old people live with cancerous tumours, and that he'd rather finish his life with a car accident after a wild party!
    This is one of my favourite poems also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought, Nan has a typo there. Interesting explanation from Michelle Ann above. So it's not even a malapropism but an intended joke? I think it would take some work on my part to appreciate this poem as you do. I kept thinking, as I read each verse, oh no, not me! I don't want to go that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe he is known for humor in his poems.

      Delete
    2. A touch like Dylan Thomas' poem: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/46569/do-not-go-gentle-into-that-good-night

      Delete
  3. Hmmm~ I'm older than the first verse (still a bit younger than the second) but the red sports car sort of death really doesn't appeal. Nor does the alternative, but what are you gonna' do? I don't know the poet or the TV series and must look both up. Nan, you always send me down some of the very best, most interesting rabbit holes! Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love Inspector George Gently. Wonderful portrait of the times, and excellent acting.

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.