Friday, February 23, 2024

The loss of another young man

 At my age, one might expect to go to funerals. In New Tricks, Jack Halford played by the excellent James Bolam says that he goes to a funeral every couple of weeks. Well, very, very sadly the last five funerals or Celebrations of Life Tom and I have been to have been young men. I’ve written about two of them here and here. In between them there were two others, one a bit older than Margaret, and the other in Michael's class, and then last month was the fifth. This young man was a year, lacking two days, older than my daughter Margaret. He died on the local mountain he loved, doing what he loved to do, snowboarding. 

There were hundreds of people there. The place was up a hill, and we were early enough to park in one of the parking lots. When we came out, there were cars almost down to the main road. He was much loved in the community. I didn’t know him personally, but I know his mother, and his sister is one of Margaret’s best friends, and Tom taught him in school. There is something about the small Middle and Senior High School which all the young men, but one, attended that is very, very special. The kids were close, and they remain close. And many, many of them stay in the area. They love this place with the same passion that we have. Some move further away, but they they come back home and get together with all the friends they’ve known most of their lives. It is an amazing school and area that brings them all together for a lifetime. 

And their parents were there, most of them old hippies like Tom and I. There were no women with dyed hair or facelifts. There was gray hair, and there were wrinkles, and there were a few with canes or walkers. Their “kids” are in their forties now and the parents in their sixties and seventies. Even if we don’t know everyone personally, we still “know” each other. We spent most of our time with the mother of a woman whose daughter was in Margaret’s class, and whose own son died almost a decade ago at whose Celebration of Life all of us were back then. 

The man who died was an early skateboarder when that sport was looked down on by much of society. There is a skateboarding park in town, but there hasn’t been enough money to really make something of it. His sister-in-law had the idea to give contributions in his name to the park, and would you believe that $52,000 dollars has been given thus far. It just makes me cry, and makes me feel so proud of this wonderful community.

13 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful and appropriate memorial gift and shows how kind your community is. When my husband died I purchased a bench in a nearby park and it overlooks a skateboard area. My husband's name etc. is on the bench. Maybe something with the young man's name on it can be placed in the park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I think a bench or sign with his name is a lovely idea. I will talk to someone about it. I am so sorry about your husband.

      Delete
  2. Nan, this is such a sweet post. I'm so sorry about this young man, but what a great memorial for him and others. I like the suggestion above about the bench. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I may have read about him in the paper. It is a tragedy when someone dies young.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a very supportive community, I am so sorry for the loss and sadness. Beautiful memorial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is heartbreaking, Nan. As Terra mentioned, it's wonderful that your community has come together with such a generous gift to honor the young man. A bench, and maybe a tree, would be a lovely addition to the skate park. Thinking of you, Tom, Margaret, and Michael. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sad story, Nan. It's so heartbreaking to see someone that young die, especially when it would have been least expected. That skateboarding upgrade idea is the perfect memorial for a man in whose life skateboarding seems to have added so much pleasure. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, each of you, for your kind and caring notes. They mean a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so sad. I am also at the stage where there are a lot of funerals to attend. It makes a difference when one knows people attending in addition to the bereaved family but the bond you describe is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such sad losses! My heart is with you all.❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry Nan. Age and experience don't make this kind of thing a bit easier. But it is good that your community is as close as it is.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.