Sunday, October 1, 2023

Me and Miss Marple

 I've just ILLed Agatha Christie's The Mirror Crack'd because I began reading a terrific post and saved it for a later time because I wanted to read the book before reading the blog post. 

I was very struck right at the beginning because Miss Marple has been stopped in her tracks because of the ramifications of older age. I checked the publication date, and it is 1962 when Agatha was 72, three years younger than me. She was likely beginning to feel some of those things that seem to happen around 70. 

Miss Marple has been warned off gardening by her doctor who comes by three times a week (think of that!), so she sits and looks out the window. She is resentful of the person she has hired to do the work, because he doesn't do that work. He is busy with his own garden. 

And then she ponders:

One had to face the fact: St. Mary Mead was not the place it had been. You could blame the war (both the wars) or the younger generation, or women going out to work, or the atom bomb, or just the Government - but what one really meant was the simple fact that one was growing old. Miss Marple, who was a very sensible old lady, knew that quite well. It was just that, in a queer way, she felt it more in St. Mary Mead, because it had been her home for so long.

She goes on to note the changes that have come, and the one in particular - a "glittering new supermarket - anathema to the elderly ladies of St. Mary Mead".

"Packets of things one's never even heard of," exclaimed Miss Hartnell. "All those great packets of breakfast cereal instead of cooking a child a proper breakfast of bacon and eggs. And you're expected to take a basket yourself and go round looking for things - it takes a quarter of an hour sometimes to find what one wants - and usually made up in inconvenient sizes, too much or too little. And then a long queue waiting to pay as you go out. Most tiring."

I have always rather prided myself on being "modern" and accepting the world as it is, not the way it was in the "old days". But as I read the above in The Mirror Crack'd, I found it a bit too close for comfort. I have found myself bemoaning a bit about some trends that upset me. I, being a health food hippie from way back, am dismayed by how much candy and junk food children eat now. I have to keep such thoughts inside instead of passing them along to anyone because times do change, and of course, may well change back, but this is the new generation, not mine. The mothers and fathers do a lot of things way better than I did. Kids are busier than mine were. There are more activities available. It all feels too much to me, but I am also not in my thirties or forties. Seventy-five is much slower and quieter than my younger self. And I shall strive to be that "sensible old lady" like Jane Marple.

16 comments:

  1. I hear you, Nan. I have to keep reminding myself that this will never again be the world I grew up in, and that there's no real point in letting all the change drive me nuts. I smile when I hear my children moan on about how much has changed since THEY were growing up, but my grandchildren are pretty much thriving in the only world they have ever known. One good side effect of all this is that I now understand why my own grandparents and parents could sometimes be upset by some of the changes spurred on and supported by the Boomer generation.

    That version of Jane Marple appeals to me. She is handling it all pretty well, all things considered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids, too. I chuckle when they talk of changes, and the past (they are late thirties and early forties). My mother was an awesome example of acceptance. No concerns about long hair or me being vegetarian (still am) or anti war protests or hippies, in general. And she was in her fifties.

      Delete
  2. I suppose the two things I bemoan as someone in her early sixties is the disregard of common decency, particularly with regard to the use of profanity in public spaces. I just can't get used to hearing the f-word dropped so casually in restaurants, stores, or parks, especially when small children are nearby. I am no saint and swear up a storm, but I know when it's not appropriate. The other change is the use of cell phones for more than just making a call or taking a photo. In the middle of a conversation, at any given moment, a friend or relative will glance at their phone to check email, baseball scores, Google a fact, make a dinner reservation, or play a game, all the while during a visit (and active conversation!) with friends or relatives that they haven't seen in over a year. No more undivided attention. What can possibly be so important that it can't wait 10-15 minutes?

    The times, they are a-changin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate, hate, hate, hate the overuse of cell phones.

      Delete
  3. There was a movie of "The Mirror Crack'd" in the early 1980's with Angela Lansbury as Miss Marple. It was a very "Hollywood" production and Miss M was sidelined by a sprained ankle or some such, not by her age. I read the book later and got the real story. I'm younger than Miss M but I could still identify with her feelings about getting older and living in a changed world. But I'm very grateful for one big change, namely the internet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this! I will try and find the movie when I've finished the book.

      Delete
  4. I agree about the busy pace of children's lives these days - it seems that every minute has to be some sort of activity or event. So little dreaming time... And, yes, social media. I am glad not to be a parent these days - so hard to balance out everything. And the pressure to give cell phones to the very young . But I do keep my opinions to myself as you do. My son and d-i-l are lovely parents, probably much better than I was. That said, I think we all did our be
    And Miss Marple! Love the PBS shows - Julie McKenzie did a wonderful Miss M. in the Mirror Crack'd. with the wonderful Joanna Lumley. And Joan Hickson in earlier presentations. To many, Miss Hickson is THE Miss Marple.
    You could probably see these online if you haven't already seen them. PBS does such a great job
    Mary(littlemancat)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good point about not much (any?) dreaming time. Down time is watching a show on an ipad - many shows probably. I do love Joan Hickson. She is who I picture when I read the books. And, yes, hooray for PBS. For $5/month I have access to all their programming. Just now am watching second season of Annika with the excellent Nicola Walker!

      Delete
  5. I worry about all the bad things that are facilitated by the Internet, let alone putting newspapers and local businesses out of business. I would miss it but would give it up for the greater good, if possible!

    I am also enjoying Annika, although preferred The Unforgotten. I must have missed a few episodes of Season 1 but now feel comfortable with the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't you nice to stop by even if I haven't written for so long! I think I like Annika so much because of the way she chats to the audience about all these interesting things, and with humor. And I love the fact of her child playing such a large part in the show.

      Delete
  6. Miss Marple is young in this book by my standards. (Well, younger than I am anyway. But then pretty much everybody is.) What does ILLed mean? (See previous sentence and you will perhaps forgive me for my ignorance.) I have been reading all the Sophie Hanna new/fake Hercule books instead of starting over yet again on the real stuff. Of course they aren't as good. But these days I often need a book where I know that only the bad guys will die and everyone else will be happy by the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inter Library Loan. I just use it as a verb. haha

      Delete
  7. Oh yes, good reminder I want to read the Miss Marples

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Assuming this is my poet friend! Thanks for coming by. I have written so seldom. Am going to try and remedy that!

      Delete
  8. Yes, writing is hard to keep up with, isn’t it. After this post, saw the movie with Angela Lansbury on tv. Not what expected but fun to see Liz Taylor in something

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.