Sunday, September 24, 2023

My thoughts on the Rex Stout books many years ago

 Before blogging, there were email groups online that I belonged to that talked about books. I have kept all my emails to those groups, and just came across the following, written about Champagne For One. The words are just what I would still say, and they were written in May 2006 a few months before I began my blog. The second words are from 2003.

I am so enjoying my visits to Wolfe and Archie as I read them all again in publication order, though as I have said, they really don't have to be read that way. 

I go on and on to anyone who'll listen about the greatness of the Nero Wolfe/Archie Goodwin books.  Some in the series are stellar, like this one, and others not so perfect, but I don't really look at them individually.  They are all of a piece about the life.  It's like checking in to see what Wolfe and Archie are up to.  I love the old familiar words and descriptions of how many steps up to the door of the old brownstone, what Archie is having for breakfast, how the office is arranged, what Wolfe is reading, and of course the mystery he must work on to pay for his gourmet food and his thousands of orchids.  Wonderful, wonderful books.

 I love the way Archie repeats details in each book, in case the reader is on his
first Nero Wolfe story.  "I climbed the seven steps up to the old
brownstone".  "Cramer sat in the red chair".   I love the house
descriptions.  The plots are really secondary.  Each book is a portion of
the lives of Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin.  I think between the Stout
books, and P.G. Wodehouse books, I really could survive without any other
reading material.

8 comments:

  1. You really nailed it here, Nan. That's exactly why I loved/love the Nero Wolfe books so much. I think I cut my teeth on Stout's whole series when I was finally figuring out how to discern quality mystery writing from the more "over the counter" stuff out there. I would love to re-read that whole series if I can get my hands on all of them again. I seem to have lost almost all of my copies over the years and the moves. You brought back some great memories for me with this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just added some more words that I came across. I am trying to find out which books I have read (I know - such a geek). I hope I wrote them all down. I love that about figuring out what was quality and what wasn't so much. I am actually buying them on the Kindle. Not awfully expensive.

      Delete
  2. Nan, I admit that I always read the Rex Stout for everything but the mystery! Those domestic details and of course the orchids. I do love the tiny little descriptions like you mentioned also. I think that was what I most loved about Rosamunde Pilcher's books too. Why those little details make me happier than the actual plot, I don't know. They just do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm completely with you! As far as RP's plots - I don't really like some of them, like what happens in Winter Solstice, and in The Shell Seekers and September. I greatly prefer her short stories. If you see this, do you know which book has a quote about a kitchen - how it has the woman's desk, and how it is truly the heartbeat of the household?? A friend quoted it ages ago, and I've never been able to find it.

      Delete
  3. Rex Stout is my favorite author. I very much liked what you said about enjoying reading about the lives of Archie Goodwin and Nero Wolfe, not just the mystery plots or the individual stories.

    I have read all of the books several times, and once in order, but I just realized that I have not read one since 2021. I will have to remedy that. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very tickled to know you like him this much! He must be smiling down at all this talk about him, so many years later!!

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed the one I read, inspired by Tracy's love of the series, but maybe I need to try another! Great description of why you like them so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each one is different yet with the comforting similarities. Wolfe's and Archie's lives don't change. The mealtimes and orchid times remain the same, day after day. The cases are what vary, and bring something new to their lives. I think the books are beautifully written. As I said, comforting, but not cozy. Not cheery, light cases. It is the balance between the crimes and the home life which is so beautifully done.

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.