Monday, September 11, 2023

Come Monday - Jimmy Buffett

We have a radio in the barn, and it is set to an independent radio station in Montpelier, Vermont. There is a daily segment of what is called 33 1/3, when the DJ plays a cut from a record. Because it was Labor Day Weekend, the DJ played Jimmy Buffett's Come Monday. The DJ said it is the best song about traveling and missing your loved ones. It had been a while since I'd heard it, and I was so, so happy. I have been a fan for as long as he has been recording. And I have a delightful, and really unexplainable Jimmy Buffett story. In 1980, we flew to Houston to be Godparents to my childhood friend's baby daughter. We got off the plane, and my friend's husband asked what we would like to do in Houston. The words popped right out of my mouth, "see Jimmy Buffett". He said that there was a show. We got tickets, and saw the most wonderful concert. It was the first show I had been to that sold cocktails, obviously margaritas!

Why on earth would I have said that? Who knows, but it sure was amazing. 

I'm quite sure that the DJ played the song on September 1. And so very sadly, he died that night. 


10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that great memory, Nan. Losing so many singers from my generation in what seems like rapid succession has gotten a little scary...but a good reminder to live life to its fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His death is a true loss. It made Doug and I sad when we read of his passing. So many good memories involving Buffett songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is.
      I saw that you closed your blog, and I couldn't find any way to contact you, so am hoping you come back here, and see this. I hope all is okay. Thinking of you.

      Delete
    2. Hi Nan! I am fine and thank you for asking :-) I am still on Goodreads, not sure if you use that book site but i love to find new titiles and keep track of the books I am reading there. My email address is tmculbertson AT gmail DOT com if you ever want to drop me a line.

      I plan to visit my favorite people even if I am not blogging!

      Delete
  3. Nan, it is truly amazing how many people in the music business had his love and respect! I really didn't know that until he had passed. Our talented musicians and singers are leaving us these days but remember, we will always have their music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great that it worked out for you to see him then! I never did but my Florida sisters all saw him in the old days and were true fans. I tried to find the one CD I had when I heard of his passing but never could so went to YouTube . Had not heard this one though. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really wonderful little miracle, methinks.

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.