Thursday, August 10, 2023

Other breakfasts (of more famous people than I!)

I came upon this in my current print book which I just adore, and thought it went well with my last post.


 Breakfast at Charleston

'Vanessa [Stephen Bell] presided in the dining room, the magnetic centre of all our thoughts and activities. At breakfast she was always down first, and sat for some time alone, enjoying her solitude. She had dressed and washed quietly, almost secretively, and would be in her habitual place on the far side of the round table, looking with dreamy reflectiveness at the still-life in the centre, or out of the window at the pond and the weather.... Now, as she ate a piece of buttered toast with coarse salt and held a steaming cup in long, straight be-ringed fingers, she considered her letters, absorbed the temper of the day, and braced herself to meet its demands....

'Duncan [Grant] sometimes overslept, in which case someone would ask me to play a particularly irritating little Écossaise by Beethoven on the piano directly underneath his room. Eventually he would enter the dining room, growling his dislike of the "beastly tune", ruffling his hair through his fingers and blowing his nose on a large red bandanna. Insouciant and natural, every day he peeled an orange, ate porridge and drank coffee with fresh appreciation, almost as though he had never done it before, conscious perhaps that each new day was a miracle that might not be repeated. For him, objects seemed alive, never simply things, just as repeated actions never bored him but became a source of reiterated pleasure. After wishing everyone good morning and hitching up his trousers, which were tied round his waist with an old red tie, he would squat to help himself to porridge, kept hot on a low trivet in front of the fire, and tell us about his dreams - often very amusing - or about the book which, tradition has it, he absorbed by putting under his pillow.'

                Angelica Garnett, Deceived with Kindness, 1984

10 comments:

  1. First off, thank you for your kind comment yesterday on my blog. You summed it up perfectly - I visit people I like and am interested in their lives.
    Love this book you have! I am just finishing up one called Daily Rituals and it's about artists of all sorts, how they go about their days and creativity inspiration. Will post that one soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sound of your book! I will look into it.

      Delete
  2. Ah, I love that book, nice to see a quote from it! Hope you are well over there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just delighted that you know the book!! I bought it when it first came out - 9 years ago! It is just wonderful. Thanks for telling me.

      Delete
  3. I would love this cookbook, I'm sure. Just the kind of detail stories I want in a cookbook. I've read other books about their lives but must say I can't help being drawn to Duncan and his appreciation of breakfast and a new day. I do love reading about meals in books. Were the recipes in the cookbook ones you'd want to make, Nan, or mainly fun just to read?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of them I might try. I'll go out on a limb and say it is worth buying. I have loved every minute.

      Delete
  4. That was lovely reading! Now I think I have to have the book! Thanks, Nan. This group of artists is so fascinating.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fascinating people. So very ahead of their time. I never tire of them.

      Delete
  5. Adding another comment to tell you I just ordered a used copy from Amazon! For some reason, Nan, I can't comment under littlemancat as previously done. So now I'm Anonymous aka Mary. Lol!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am delighted!!!!!!!!!! And thanks for putting your name. That way I'll always know who I'm "talking" with.

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.