Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Spring CSA flowers, and a Farm and Garden report

 This year's spring CSA flowers came from the woman who lives maybe ten minutes away. I love getting them in the spring, when I am so hungry for the sight of them. We did have lovely daffodils, but a whole swath did not come up. 

We've actually had some disheartening problems. Many flowers did not come back. The gorgeous cleome and amaranth in the big garden didn't appear. We had to replant all the started tomato seeds because we tried something new in watering, and they got waterlogged. We've dug up areas of the patio and terrace gardens and plan to put some vegetables close to the house, hoping to fool the dear deeries. I still have to get some serious supports to thwart them.

I had taken some chances and planted some zone 4 plants, hoping they might work, but after coming back one year, they did not appear this spring. I guess global warming has missed us for now. So that is one of the reasons that our flower gardens are a bit bare. The daylilies never, ever let us down. They cheerfully come up before anything else, those green, green leaves just calling out "spring"!

Anyhow, I have huge basil plants (bought from a local farmer), medium sized tomatoes, and some lettuce under the grow-lights, and we are finally getting some warmer weather. Some years spring is a little slower coming than others.

And here are the four weeks of the wonderful, wonderful CSA flowers beginning May 4.






Each week there are two bouquets, and I usually put them all together for a couple days, and then separate into smaller vases. This week the small bouquet was full of poppies, and I put them into their own containers right away. I adore poppies but they do not last long. They are the strongest lesson from flowers - to fully appreciate them every moment because they are here and gone by.

Now, you'll see the dirty windows (and window sills)! I will clean them when the screens go on. It just hasn't been warm enough for them yet.



So, what do you know?! An actual blog post from me. 

18 comments:

  1. Such lovely flowers. Article in the Upper Valley News today about how hard hit apple orchards were after heavy freeze last week. Were you hit by that too at your house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard that about the orchards. SO sad. I wonder if they can recover or if this is it for the season. We did have the low temperatures but I think because not much was out or open yet, no harm was done at our place.

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy your posts about the CSA flowers! They flowers are so cheerful, aren't they? I'm sorry you're having trouble with your perennials. Plants can be so fickle. We were just remarking about our rhoddies and how one bush is blooming like mad after several years of only a couple of blossoms, while others that used to be filled with colorful blooms now only have three (or none at all). Too much shade? Not enough (or too much) rain? Hot spells (we hit 90 two weeks ago!) or dry winds? Beats the heck out of me! I'm just happy to see all the green and to have the sun shining (most of the time).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep hearing about the weather out there. Just not normal.

      Delete
  3. I was only barely aware of flower CSAs but I like the idea and yours are gorgeous!

    I agree that even though it was a mild winter it caused damage. My azaleas mostly died or just wimped out since last year. I bought two replacements last weekend but I can't get rid of the roots of the old ones. I am not a very effective gardener so I hope they stay alive until I can try again on Saturday. But all the peonies are about to bloom! That is an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first post I wrote about CSAs:
      https://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/2016/06/flower-csa.html
      Since then, there are even more in our area - another flower grower, and many vegetable CSAs. The latter have discounts so people without money can still eat fresh vegetables. For a little area in the north, we have so many farmers, many of whom are women. One is right down the road. Just so thankful. We are also a part of the state that younger people have moved into, and there are lots of new businesses.
      And yes to the peonies!! SO exciting. And, oh, the lilacs! The apple blossoms have been wonderful, too.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful flowers, very nicely photographed. We've had fairly mild winters lately but with brief sudden cold snaps which have done for many plants over the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We watch Gardeners' World, and amazed at the weather there. Thanks for the "very nicely photographed". Sheer luck!

      Delete
  5. Nan, each time I've seen your SCA posts I've meant to see if there were any near us but this time I actually stopped and did it and there is one only a few miles from us! And a market day beginning in June that we'll watch for. Your flowers are absolutely lovely and superior! You obviously have a talent for arranging them and I do love your different vases. Please tell us more about the first vase, is it an eggplant vase? It's a sweet piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! A present from Margaret years ago!
      The black one with gold etching was my mother's - the only vase I have of hers.
      The white one was my Auntie Gladys".
      Each one special to me. And there is one I didn't use - a white one with flowers from a friend.
      No talent at all! I plop them in the vases. haha
      I am thrilled that you have access to flowers, and that your market begins soon! Our farmers' market starts June 4 and I am so ready. I feel like I have been hungry for months for fresh and local food!!

      Delete
  6. Oh! The commenter above said the same thing I wanted to say! Not only do I love your flowers but I love the vases that you use for them! Of course, your vases are special to you. You are Nan! I've never met you but I just knew that about you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such lovely flowers. I think having fresh flowers inside bring a warmth as well as beauty. Our daylily plants are doing well and you can always count on them. Love your blog header. I would spend lots of time out on that porch with a book and a pair of binoculars to watch birds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Nan, flowers can't help but make us happy - those are so beautiful. I got a cheery patio rug and spent a small fortune on potted plants to brighten my reading space this summer:) I'm sure I've missed plenty on your blog these last months but, since I can see again I finally did a blog post with an update and some summer picks; have a good summer.https://bibliophilebythesea.blogspot.com/2023/05/its-been-while-bit-of-life-and-books.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How very happy I was to see your name!! Take a picture of your "reading space", okay? I'd love to see it.
      You've missed hardly anything. I so rarely wrote, but hoping to get better at it.

      Delete
  9. Sorry that you lost some plants this year. I had problems with that too, but they were in pots which are never as successful.

    Lovely photos and I enjoyed the "actual blog post."

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.