Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Pruning Basil

 I think I've mentioned that I always pronounce basil in the English way because the first time I ever heard the word was on Fawlty Towers. Isn't that unbelievable? That show was in the 1970s. The only herb I'd heard of was parsley, the curly garnish that no one ever ate. How very far we have come.

Anyhow, my basil plants didn't make it this year, so I bought some starts at the Co-op from a local, organic farm. They have grown tremendously under the lights. I kept reading that I should prune them, but you all know how hard that is to do when your plants are big and healthy. I went to my favorite YouTube gardener, MIgardener. His name is Luke and he is the dearest person, as well as offering a ton of information. This is the video I watched. Afterward, I went right out to the kitchen, and did what I needed to do. Here are my before and after photographs.



They should really take off now and be nice and bushy rather than leggy. Quite a difference. And a side benefit is I used some of the cuttings to make the first pesto of the season! My recipe is here.

10 comments:

  1. I have 4 small plants out in my herb garden and doing well with the cilantro and parsley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you give it the full Prunella Scales "Baaaaasil!"? I had an uncle of that name who was a great character too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh,yes! I just read that Cleese and his daughter are doing a new show! https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-64563839

      Delete
  3. I'm glad I read your post about pruning as I would haye to have cut any of the shoots off. But now I see the great benefit. Oh, I loved watched Fawlty Towers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that makes me so very pleased. The video really explains it and he understands our reluctance!
      I loved it, too. Lots of PC stuff going on about it now, but the reality is Basil hated everyone equally.

      Delete
    2. Our son loved the Fawlty Towers series and we surprised him for his birthday one year with a DVD set. He can quote Basil as we rehash some scenes. Loved Communication Problems with Mrs. Richards, the demanding deaf guest at the hotel.

      Delete
    3. That's why I can't see the PC advantage of changing and cutting. There is noone Basil lets live without his criticism.

      Delete
  4. I always used to trim my basil and freeze the leaves to use in the winter - I'd smash the frozen leaves to break them up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I do for the winter is hang it, and then crumble it up to put in pasta sauce! I was amazed at the difference last year between the dried basil I bought at the store, and mine. Both in looks and taste. It was still so green!

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.