Sunday, May 1, 2022

Kitchen life

 I feel there is a kind of perfection in starting the vegetable and flower plants in the kitchen. After all, this is the room where most of them will end up - as flowers on the windowsill or vegetables being cooked and eaten.  

We put a drop cloth on the kitchen table when we are planting seeds, or transplanting when they have grown too large for their pots. The big lights are set up in front of a south-facing window with a heat register underneath, and the woodstove a few steps away. This heat has been just perfect for the growing plants. We also have smaller lights on two counters. The kitchen is pretty much "remodeled" for these weeks, but it makes me happy just walking in and seeing all the green. 

Here are some pictures. They aren't awfully good photographs with all that fluorescent light, but I took a few with the lights off as well. 






11 comments:

  1. Your starter plants are doing great Nan. I loved seeing all that you have in t-he works. Your header picture of the cats and dog is precious. Spring is in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, I so love getting to peek into your home, even after all these years. :) How long until you're able to plant everything outside? Early June?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That pleases me so much. Late May or early June. We'll be checking forcast. The full moon is later in June so we should be okay without a frost.

      Delete
  3. You truly do have kitchen life, Nan and I'm sure you take pleasure in watching over them as you cook and clean. It's wonderful that you have big sunny windows there too. About how long before it will be safe to plant these little ones outside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love what you wrote. Thank you. Probably late May or early June.

      Delete
  4. Those tender green babies are getting a great head start in life, and will bring you much joy!
    Love the photo with your reflection in the window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you as always for taking the time to come by when I write so very little. The plants really do help in life. And you noticed moi!

      Delete
  5. It does me good seeing this! I really should do a light set up. I love growing things, but in this house, I buy my plants started already because of low light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't do it without light. That is the south side of the house, but the sun doesn't really pour right in. I think one of the big stores like Lowe's or Home Depot would have metal racks and light fixtures that wouldn't cost a lot.

      Delete
  6. Definitely the start of something big! I love this. Happy Spring and "safe journeys" for all your seedlings.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.