Saturday, April 1, 2017

Quote du jour/Samuel Taylor Coleridge



'Tis a month before the month of May, and the spring comes slowly up this way.
Samuel Taylor Coleridge




Coleridge's words are apt as I look out my front door this afternoon.


We've lost some snow since the last snowstorm, but it is coming down strong and steady today. Michael lives an hour south of us and they got 8 inches overnight. March has been consistently cold with intermittent snowfalls and a blizzard mid-month. Those red-winged blackbirds haven't come back. There is no sight or sound of robins or woodcocks. We've had some sunshine but the wind has been cold. Three deer come by each evening for their daily meal. The usual winter birds are still eating heartily at the feeders.

But this won't last. A few warm, sunny days and we will have forgotten all about snow!

16 comments:

  1. Brrr! We had a bit of snow the other night, but it is closer to 40F today. The only snow remaining are a few patches deep in the woods. It has been a gradual spring however... we are in the 40s in the day and below freezing each night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's 40 here, too. Shouldn't it be raining??

      Delete
  2. Brrrrrrrrrrrr. This looks so cold Nan. I hope spring comes swooping in on you soon with sunshine and warmth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The temp isn't bad, 40. And no wind today for a change.

      Delete
  3. We've had late wet snow too! but like you the temp is warmer and it shouldn't last.
    I feel for the wildlife though ..the birds that were madly singing have gone quiet ..hopefully not for long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you've had a bit of spring birds! Ours are waiting down in Georgia probably.

      Delete
  4. It's beautiful, but I would want to stay inside!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice quote and a lovely picture. I wish I could visit for just a few hours and experience real snow. Haven't seen it at all since my childhood and not much then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought WE were still cold in NE Indiana, but May is slower coming here than there for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unbelievable! But I know that you are good at finding indoor pleasures and comfort. Once last time, hopefully, to cocoon and enjoy the hearthside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I'm always happy inside, summer or winter. haha

      Delete
  8. I have just had another wonderful spring weekend, walking past orchards in bloom, under the first very tender green leaves of woodland where anemonae cover the ground, and enjoying ice cream sundaes at an outdoors café in the sun - can't imagine reverting to snow and cold temperatures now, but it could very well still happen for us, too!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.