Sunday, October 25, 2015

Easy and fun homemade ice cream

A few years ago we gave an ice cream maker to Margaret and Matthew.The other day I borrowed it, and we made vanilla ice cream with Hazel Nina. A fun time was had by all! 


It is easy as can be to make, and the result is better than any vanilla ice cream I’ve ever tasted. As you must know by now, my sugar choice is Sugar in the Raw but for this recipe I thought I should use a finer white sugar. On top we sprinkled broken brownie pieces from this recipe.

Vanilla Ice Cream 

1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 1/8 cups granulated sugar
3 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract

Put the freezer bowl into the freezer a few hours before you make the ice cream.
In a medium mixing bowl, use a hand mixer on low speed to combine the milk and granulated sugar until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla. 
Turn the machine on, and pour the mixture into freezer bowl, and let mix until thickened, about 20 to 25 minutes. 


The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.

Yum!



You may read other food related posts at Weekend Cooking

9 comments:

  1. Gosh that sounds scrummy ..what make of maker is it Nan? and would you recommend it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the serious face on your little helper, Nan! Your ice cream recipe sounds delicious. We haven't made homemade ice cream in years, since our crank model broke. There is nothing better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is adorable, and that ice cream looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No eggs in the recipe? I always thought ice cream needs eggs, too, but I never made my own, so who am I to know :-)
    Yours looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds wonderful! And you had the cutest helper ever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never made ice cream before, and will bookmark this post for future reference.

    This past Sunday I did an amazing hike in Sleepy Hollow and Rockefeller State Park Preserve; trying to drink in the autumn colors at their peak before they fade.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't made homemade ice cream in forever-and-a-day, using the old ice cream freezer. This looks so good and so easy - and fun to do with the grands. You've given me an idea for Christmas. Nan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a delicious treat! Cute helper you have there. ☺

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.