Sunday, December 28, 2014

August and September Reading

I shall always remember August 2014 as the month I was first introduced to the character Dr. Thorndyke. I can’t believe that Arthur Conan Doyle is so famous for Sherlock Holmes, while R. Austin Freeman’s Dr. Thorndyke isn’t nearly as well known. I think Freeman’s character is more well-rounded and interesting. I also feel that Freeman's books are much more readable and appealing. I’ve tried Sherlock Holmes time and again, and just can’t get interested. More about the character here.

The Fantastic Fiction site says:
 For the first twenty-five years of his writing career, Freeman was to dominate and remain unrivalled in the world of detective fiction, introducing the well-loved and highly memorable Dr Thorndyke.
You may get them for free, or for peanuts, on the Kindle. Indeed, one of the greatest things about ebooks is the availability and low cost of old books.

41. The Red Thumb Mystery - book 1 in the Dr. Thorndyke series
by R. Austin Freeman
mystery 1907
Kindle
finished 8/15/14

42. John Thorndyke's Cases - book 2 in the Dr. Thorndyke series
by R. Austin Freeman
mystery short stories 1909
Kindle
finished 8/20/14

43. The Eye of Osiris - book 3 in the Dr. Thorndyke series
by R. Austin Freeman
mystery 1911
Kindle
finished 9/2/14

44. The Mystery of 31 New Inn - book 4 in the Dr. Thorndyke series
by R. Austin Freeman
mystery 1912
Kindle
finished 9/14/14

45. The Singing Bone - book 5 in the Dr. Thorndyke seriess
by R. Austin Freeman
mystery short stories 1912
Kindle
finished 9/19/14

2 comments:

  1. I've read many of the Upfield mysteries and all of the Isabelle Dalhousie ones, but never remember hearing of Dr. Thornfield. So Thank You! I'm now halfway through The Red Thumb Mystery on my Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so tickled that you are reading Freeman. Such a good writer.

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.